Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diagnosing an inaccurate pistol

Shepard

Hello,

After bench shooting my pistol I found that it's all over the place. I'm hoping someone can tell me what to start looking at/eliminating one step at a time to determine what the problem is. I'm shooting a .40 para ord bull bbl 180 grn lead over clays loaded to 1.20.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shepard

First question, are you sure it isn't you?  Have someone else that you know is an accurate shooter try it out and see what happens.

Best to isolate it to the gun first.

Joel

That’s good advice, do that but also…

Look closely at your muzzle, is it nicked or dinged? Are BOTH of your sights good and tight? If you have a chrono, is your ammo fairly consistent? Have you changed your brand of bullets? Did the gun shoot well before and then suddenly go “sour”, if so, what did you change?

Last year I bought a Ruger Super Red Hawk in 454 to play another gun game were accuracy is King. I bought some 250-grain, 45 bullets from a bullet manufacturer well know to this forum because I wanted to start off with good stuff. My 25 yard “groups” were 6”-8”! I dinked around with other powders and tried various other tricks but the groups were STILL huge. To shorten an already too long story; the “good” bullets were .001-.0015 out of round! When I changed bullets the groups shrank to about an inch.

Take nothing for granted.

Ed

Shepard, somewhere on here is a thread about the crowns on the 16-40 barrels have been bad. A couple of member just had the crowns redone and that took care of the problem. I see that someone has aready replaced the factory barrel. But the crown is where I would start.

Steve

Since you have already had someone else try the gun with the same results we can assume its the gun or the ammo.........

!st thing is to try some different ammo. I would suggest trying some factory ammo. The feeding problems which may result from the short OAL aren't an issue, just see if the groups get smaller. If they do, then the gun doesn't like the ammo. Some guns are very picky, so you might have to change your load.

If that doesn't cure the problem then you did to look at the gun......

1st carefully check for ding's on the crown of the muzzle. It doesn't take much to really open the groups up. Then carefully check for cracks in the barrel, the lower barrel lugs, and the slide it's self. Normally they will be from the ejection port running downward to the bottom of the slide. Next rack the slide on an empty gun, leaving the hammer back and try pushing down on the hood of the barrel. If it moves at all, the barrel is not locking up properly and this will cause a problem. Next, with the hammer back on an empty gun, grap the slide/frame in one hand and try to wiggle the barrel at the muzzle. If there is movement between the barrel and the slide that is also a problem. Finally check and make sure the sight are not broken or loose.

Good luck.............

Went out with some federal ammo today and the gun groups fine. Although I do a lot of shooting I have been resistant to the "guns like different ammo" theory. Well I guess I learned my lesson.

I ordered a case of Montana Gold. Hopefully It'll be straightened out by Area 2. Thanks for your help,

Shepard