Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr cast bullet loads

Jody Waring

Searched the forum and found a few different recipes, never noticed unless I missed it but has anyone used 231? I am loading the Lyman 147gr cast bullet in my Shadow and need to load it pretty short to chamber. I have WST, WSF, 231, Titegroup, Autocomp, HS6. I also have one pound of N320. Am I better off with a slower bullet like WSF to help stabilize the bullet and prevent tumbling? I am leaning towards WST for use with cast bullets as I've had good luck with it in .40 and .45 but see some mention to be very cautious with WST. Looking for an accurate, reliable load that makes factor, and takes advantage of the soft recoil a heavy bullet gives. Thanks for any info you could share. Thanks!

Shot 100 rounds of the cast 147's tonight, I loaded 3.3 gr of WST I had seen posts where some recommended 3.5 and I was getting lots of tumbling. I loaded to 1.085-1.090 with a light crimp and S&B pistol primers. Pretty bummed about it. I plan to try some slower powder like WSF and see what happens. They are sized to .356, maybe they should be .357? Funny how I have had nothing but great luck with plated and fmj, but cast so far doesn't look promising.

Shot 100 rounds of the cast 147's tonight, I loaded 3.3 gr of WST I had seen posts where some recommended 3.5 and I was getting lots of tumbling. I loaded to 1.085-1.090 with a light crimp and S&B pistol primers. Pretty bummed about it. I plan to try some slower powder like WSF and see what happens. They are sized to .356, maybe they should be .357? Funny how I have had nothing but great luck with plated and fmj, but cast so far doesn't look promising.

What diameter plated bullets were you originally using? This might lead you in the right direction.

As far as OAL, I don't think I can get more than 1.10 with this bullet without getting some barrel work done; and the last batch of Berry's I used I'm pretty sure were .355-.356. I used Speer plated too and they shot great, but I don't recall I the diameter.

• 1 month later...

Worked up various loads for a 5" 1911 using WSF, 147gr cast bullets. No problem with an OAL of 1.145. Settled on the 3.5 load. Shoots, feeds and feels great. There is a big difference in the PF from barrel to barrel, work your way up slowly.

Schuemann barrel was 140 PF with 3.8gr and stock Springfield barrel is 134.

3.5gr = PF of 129

3.6gr = PF of 134

3.8gr = PF of 140

Whats the reasoning behind using a slower powder? A faster powder will give you less felt recoil when fixed with a heavy bullet I use 2.9grs of AA#2 behind a lead 168gr SWC and it's the lowest recoil most accurate bullet I got.

Tumbling with Lead Bullets is usually a sizing issue not a powder issue. You can try a slower powder (WSF) but my bet is it won't matter. Did you have bad leading with that load. If not then you have a chance a slower powder will help. Did you chrono?I am going to try a similar load very soon. 143gr lead (sized to .357) and I am going to start with 3.0 grs of WST @ 1.080 as that is what fits my barrel. Short OAL is common with lead and especially over sized lead bullets.

I shot the same bullet last year with WSF and had no troubles at all. The barrel is not leading badly, very little actually even with the WST. Next time I pour ill size some to .357 and see if there is any change.

You will reach a point with a fast powder that you can make the bullets tumble. So I have heard OVER AND OVER by people who hate fast powders. I just have never experienced it myself. I actually made 3K or more (I have no idea how long this was going on) of 9mm 143 gr cast bullets loaded to 140PF using Solo 1000 (another fast powder). That is a over pressure load from all the data I have. It shot fine and I had no issues. I will try the wst and see what happens here in the next week or so. Good luck with your journey.

have you slugged your barrel?

• 2 weeks later...

I tested my WST loads. 143 gr bullet. 1.080OAL 3.5 gr 132 PF. None tumbled but I did not have time to test for accuracy. Bullets are sized .357" and water dropped for extra hardness.

Edited by 98sr20ve