Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA v. 3 Gun Nation v. IMGA Rules

Hi, all. I'm new to three gun, and this forum, so if this is a foolish question I apologize.

I've been looking at the rules for all three multi-gun organizations that I could find, and I'm a little confused on a few topics.

Do any of the three distinguish between major and minor? I see that USPSA does for comstock scoring, but not for time plus? Is this correct? How about the other two organizations? I'm just trying to figure out if I can get by with just a 9mm for all three (thinking Glock 34 with TFO sights) or do I need a .40 as well? I'll be in tactical division.

Are any of these related to each other or are they completely separate? For example, can I qualify for a 3 Gun Nation shoot with IMGA scores?

Any other tidbits a newbie might need to know?

Thanks so much! I can't wait to start shooting more matches!!!

No major or minor. 9mm is the most desired caliber for handgun in 3 gun. Unless you plan to run in heavy division.

Every match is run by its own set of rules and basically is its own entity. It can be a tad bid confusing to try and grasp initially. Best advice is just go shoot and don't worry about the rest. Know the rules of the match you are shooting, be safe and have fun. The rest will slowly fall into place.

USPSA has major minor but the last two years has been run under Time-Plus, so technically, no power factor, except poppers are still 125 PF calibrated. There are 2-3 major USPSA matches per year.

3GN has a set of rules that apply to the club and Pro Series, but you won't see them any any "Open to anyone" majors this year.

IMGA is what SMM3G runs under. The development of the IMGA and 3GN rules had the benefit of prior rulesets and do have some things undefined, so the MD/RM/RO either "borrows" from USPSA definations or makes up their own rule/ruling.

Then you have outlaw, which is some cut and paste and tweak and adjust of a IMGA and or USPSA rules. They might add random points/penalties for different things and even relax rules on some things. For the most part, in Tac-Scope the division requirements are about the same and the safety rules are not stricter than USPSA rules.

• 1 month later...

If you decide you want to shoot something other than Tac-Optics/Tac-Scope/Tactical....make sure you know the rules for THAT match. My first big match, I did not pay close enough attention and was going to shoot Heavy Tactical/Heavy Optics. The match I was shooting allowed 9mm pistols to be used in that division and following the same pistol rules as the regular Tac divisions. I brought an FNP .45 expecting to download my mags to 8-10 rounds, when I could have brought my Glock with extended basepads. Another big match I considered shooting Heavy at, uses single stack .45 rules with 10 rd mags in the same division...if I had arrived with my 9mm, I would have been shooting .308 in the Tac-Optics division!

I always try to look at a few main rules for the match, and specifics relating to the division I will be shooting.

-abandonment rules (safe or empty, empty, empty chamber, shotgun empty chamber AND tube,...)

-what types of shotgun shells can be used (#6 or #7.5 shot as biggest, 00 buck required over 0000, no low recoil slugs/buck in heavy, no high brass,...)

-scoring rules on paper (A-zone or 2 hits, A/B-zones or 2 hits, 1 hit with .45 in Heavy,...)

-pistol caliber allowed in Heavy division

-mag length/capacity/type restrictions in my division (20/25rd in Heavy, 30rd/no limit in Tac, no drums...I had a 50rd X-Products drum for awhile, couldn't use it)

-slings required?

-chest rig allowed for shotgun shells?

-max number of shotgun shells allowed in a gun at any time vs start? Maybe I need to plug my tube to that 8rd max for Blue Ridge!

-......there are a lot of things to consider

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://3gunnation.com/pages/3-gun_nation_pro_series

These are the rules for 3GN matches. Yes, they are short. Thankfully.

If a set of rules for multigun is more than about 6 pages, I quickly lose focus, along with a bit of interest.

I notice this ruleset does not cover Open division. Anyone have those rules?

I don't think 3GN has rules for each divison, because a 3GN match does not have any division other than Tac Ops. The 3GN Club Series does not dictate match rules, the host club is free to use whatever rule set it chooses.

I don't think 3GN has rules for each divison, because a 3GN match does not have any division other than Tac Ops. The 3GN Club Series does not dictate match rules, the host club is free to use whatever rule set it chooses.

I can find on the 3 Gun Nation website where they refer to rules for the Club Series matches, but so far I've been unable to find them.

I'm concerned that different clubs running different rules will result in "apples and oranges" results for the classifiers. An example, the Club Series targets are all brown cardboard. (The nicely colored ones for TV are real expensive and need to be replaced after each shooter) Some clubs require either one hit to the center circle to neutralize, or two hits within the 18" outer circle. Some clubs have included the outside edges. Two hits anywhere on the brown and the target is neutralized.

I've also noticed that some of the YouTube videos of folks shooting what appears to be classifier stages are not shooting them the way the Stage Details indicate they should be shot (based on the way I feel the rules would dictate if we had some rules.)

Bill

The classifier descriptions are pretty clear on scoring. 1 hit on 8" circle or two anywhere on the target. The corners are not part of the target, as they are outside of the scoring areas. If a club is counting hits on the corners, they are doing it wrong. The rules shouldn't dictate how a stage is run, it should be the stage description that tells how it is scored and ran. You're right, there is some variation in how these stages are ran, but 3GN has made the people available to answer questions. If the match officials don't ask though, the questions can't be answered.

And the colored pro series targets aren't replaced for every shooter, they have colored pasties for the hits. It's a pain in the butt pasting targets, because you have to carry red, black, and white pasters. :)

The classifier descriptions are pretty clear on scoring. 1 hit on 8" circle or two anywhere on the target. The corners are not part of the target, as they are outside of the scoring areas. If a club is counting hits on the corners, they are doing it wrong.

You're right, there is some variation in how these stages are ran, but 3GN has made the people available to answer questions. If the match officials don't ask though, the questions can't be answered.

I'm in agreement that the scoring edge is the perfs for the 17" circle but I've been informed that some clubs consider "two hits anywhere on the target" is anywhere on the brown which includes the corners.

I may have missed it, but I have been unable to find the target scoring areas defined anywhere on the website. So when someone decides the corners count, what can I show them to convince them they are incorrect?

As for the match directors just need to call if they have questions, will someone be available at noon Saturday to make a ruling? And what if they run the rules as they see 'em and don't bother to ask?

If they want the club series to grow, it might be nice to keep everything "apples to apples". The website does refer to the "club series rules" but as far as I can tell, the 3GN staff has not had the time to post them.

Bill

http://3gunnation.com/club_series

It says 1 center hit or 2 any where on brown. I thought it was 1 center or 2 in the bigger circle and chad corrected me yesterday.

Yeah I agree all the scorning should be the same across the board.

Thank you for posting the link. I spent a lot of time trying to find the rules but I was unsuccessful.

The Club Series Rule 9.1.1 b spells it out. Two hits anywhere on the 18" x 18" targets. Corners are included.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

shows what I know! :)

I have to wonder why they decided to allow the corners as part of the scoring area, but still have the outer 17" perf. Not to mention scoring these different than the Pro Series targets.

Good questions, Bill. Because I know at least one squad (mine!) scored it wrong at our match this past weekend.

I have to wonder why they decided to allow the corners as part of the scoring area, but still have the outer 17" perf. Not to mention scoring these different than the Pro Series targets.

Good questions, Bill. Because I know at least one squad (mine!) scored it wrong at our match this past weekend.

I'm guessing to make it theoretically easier for the newer less traveled shooters. The better shooters will just go faster on the stage so no need to make it easier on them. I think it's should all be scores the same but what can I say I've shot 2 both this weekend lol Edited by steel1212

This is a good example of how the USPSA rulebook got to be the size it is. What sounds simple is anything but once you start to put it on paper and cover the questions that will pop up.

IMHO USPSA has done a great job with their rules and they are getting better all the time.

Make that two squads. I got two misses on the rifle classifier because it was scored like that. Oh well, we know better for next time.