Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Mo Vid for recoil control

Bend your knees a bit more and get that butt out slightly so that you are not leaning back with the gun. You will get a bit more mass behind the gun and your shoulders and arms will be a bit better aligned. You will be in a better position to move also. Feet shoulder width apart, and knees just slightly bent. Also you probably do not want to arc the gun up but rather bring it up closer to you and push it out. You might try this and see if you acquire the front sight faster on the draw. The pistol will tend to rise to the target and not over sweep on the draw.

Also, I was wondering what it was you were doing when you released the magazine. You seemed to be flicking the mag a bit. Try and see if that is really necessary with a clock. You might find that motion may hinder your reload times. Look at it in the video. How much dry fire do you do?

JZ

Bend your knees a bit more and get that butt out slightly so that you are not leaning back with the gun. You will get a bit more mass behind the gun and your shoulders and arms will be a bit better aligned. You will be in a better position to move also. Feet shoulder width apart, and knees just slightly bent. Also you probably do not want to arc the gun up but rather bring it up closer to you and push it out. You might try this and see if you acquire the front sight faster on the draw. The pistol will tend to rise to the target and not over sweep on the draw.

Also, I was wondering what it was you were doing when you released the magazine. You seemed to be flicking the mag a bit. Try and see if that is really necessary with a clock. You might find that motion may hinder your reload times. Look at it in the video. How much dry fire do you do?

JZ

Jimmy thanks for the info. I've been trying to do about an hour a day of dry fire but I feel like i've hit a plateau with it. I've also noticed that the gun rasies then dips down a bit. I was told by another shooter that I should think about the stance and grip like i'm doing a close grip bench press and tighten up my chest muscles.

JZ

Jimmy thanks for the info. I've been trying to do about an hour a day of dry fire but I feel like i've hit a plateau with it. I've also noticed that the gun rasies then dips down a bit. I was told by another shooter that I should think about the stance and grip like i'm doing a close grip bench press and tighten up my chest muscles.

I disagree. You shouldn't have any conscious thought of tightening up anything in your upper body. Tightening up muscles in the chest, shoulders, and arms equals stress, and that's not something you want when shooting.

You say you've hit a plateau. I assuming by that you are using a timer. You've got a lot of work to do in the area of form and mechanics, too much work to be worrying about a timer. I would only use the timer to start, and not a par time or look at the timer for any other reason. Repetition and refinement is what you need now, not speed. Just work on a smooth draw, establishing your grip, and getting a sight picture. The speed comes with time.

I guess maybe an analogy is when we use a fork or spoon to feed ourselves. I was sitting in the cafeteria at work one day watching people eat, and out of 20 or 30 people in the room, I didn’t notice one person miss their mouth. How did they get so smooth, and precise in putting food in their mouths. They didn’t learn how to do it so good by timing themselves, they did it through repetition.

I also disagree with the push out technique on the draw. It's slow, and inefficient. The fastest route from A to B is a straight line. Just concentrate on getting the gun up and the sights on target.

Just my humble opinions. Good luck to you and happy shooting.

Edited by grapemeister