Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbler question

My Hornady Tumbler is ok but the bowl has cracked 3 times. Hornady keeps sending me a replacement one, but I am pretty sure that won't last.

I want to order the Thumler's Tumbler but don't know if the regular one (yellow band around bowl) is good enough

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115086/thumlers-tumbler-ultra-vibe-10-case-tumbler-110-volt

or do I need to the Thumler's industrial version?

I didn't know any better when I first started reloading a couple of years ago. I bought the Franklin arsenal tumbler. For a cheap little tumbler it still works great. Never had an issues with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got one of the Cabela's, the least expensive one (Berry's) and it works quite well. Also have one of the seperators and while it is fragile in some respects (hinge area) it has one huge advantage if you use stainless pins which is the enclosure. This keeps you from spreading pins all over if you get too vigorous, RPM wise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only ever used a Dillon tumbler. My reloading buddy has a different brand, and he's always complaining about it (mainly that it's too loud). Dillon works great, never had a problem, does exactly what it's supposed to, nothing more nothing less. Can't go wrong.

Aww dude, for that price I got a Thumler's Model B rotary tumbler. It cleans the brass SO much better than a vibratory tumbler. When I get enough posts, I'll post some before/after pics of brass cleaned using it and wet stainless steel media. I mena when the black crud in the primer pockets is TOTALLY removed and it looks like new virgin brass!

Grog like shiny tings!

Or go to http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Gandog56/SANY0023_zps5b92c555.jpg. The six cases on the left cleaned with a vibratoy tumbler, the 6 on the right with my Thumlers.

Edited by gandog56

Dillon.

Had one small Dillon for about 17 years. Bought a new one only because the original motor finally died and the replacement didn't last very long. The new small Dillon has the larger motor also used for the big tumbler.

The old bowl was still going strong, so I swapped out the new one for the old one. Anybody need a replacement? :-D

Shiny brass (and, mind you, I do like it that way) is, well, shiny. I have to remind myself though, that it doesn't really shoot any different from cleaned but stained or tarnished brass.

Actually, I wonder if too clean can be an issue with the case mouth sticking at the belling station. The carbon deposits inside the case, I have been told, help prevent sticking. Does removing the deposits make for less consistent reloading because of case sticking?

Shiny brass (and, mind you, I do like it that way) is, well, shiny. I have to remind myself though, that it doesn't really shoot any different from cleaned but stained or tarnished brass.

Actually, I wonder if too clean can be an issue with the case mouth sticking at the belling station. The carbon deposits inside the case, I have been told, help prevent sticking. Does removing the deposits make for less consistent reloading because of case sticking?

Interesting point, Kevin. Whenever I size brand new .38 supercomp brass for the first time, it sticks like crazy on the bell/powder funnel. After its loaded once, it's fine. But that initial loading is tough on my arm!

If you'll polish the funnel it will hang up less.

I polished the bejeezuz out of mine, plus it and the other dies have been used for 17 years so I'm sure there's some extra polishing effect from loading 100K or so of 9mm. Squeaky clean brass (like new on the case interior), like cases treated with Iosso or the nontoxic stuff, stick for me on the first loading. Once sooted up, not so much. I haven't loaded any metal pin wet tumbled brass that I know of, so I was curious.

I didn't know any better when I first started reloading a couple of years ago. I bought the Franklin arsenal tumbler. For a cheap little tumbler it still works great. Never had an issues with it.

I did the same thing, about 9 years ago. Mine just crapped out on me in May--the mounts holding the motor broke, so it didn't shake the bowl any more. I wound up going to Amazon and buying a cheap tumbler off of there.

Stainless pinned brass will be a little more difficult. If you polish after the pinning with Nu-Finish (walnut or corncob) the minute amount left on the inside of the case helps a little. It's about like new brass.

My Frankford Arsenal died on me a few years ago. Turns out one of the power wires to the motor came apart, probably from a cold solder joint. Re-soldered it and it was back up and running.

That said, I've switched to ultrasonic cleaning. While it doesn't get brass shiny the way tumbling does (or super-shiny like stainless wet tumbling), it certainly gets them clean. I don't want to be exposed to the dust of traditional tumbling.