Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there such a thing as too much gear?

I am new to shooting USPSA. As I grow as a shooter, attend more matches, and meet other shooters, I am constantly introduced to new, awesome gear. Obviously there are certain gear requirements that are necessary to compete, but at what point do I need to stop spending time, energy, and money on new gear and toys? While i am new to USPSA, I am not new to competing in general, and I am familiar with the concept of people buying equipment that is unnecessary and/or way above thier ability level, thinking it will make them perform better. Where do I draw that line?

.... Where do I draw that line?

Ultimately, it's based on how much you want to spend so that line is different for everyone.

This forum and specifically, the gear sub-forum, are great places where lots of information has been shared by others who have passed before you, asked the same questions about the same products and received feedback on brand/model x vs. y vs. z. Researching prior to buying helps to reduce the trial and error approach which can be unnecessarily costly.

Best thing you can do when you start out is use what you have and only buy a minimal setup. In 6 months or a year, you'll have a MUCH better understanding of the game and what gear you really do need.

Naturally, no one ever follows this advice, which is why most of us have boxes of holsters, mags, guns, tools, and other accessories that were pretty cool, but turned out to not be what we really needed.

BB

Well I am not sure exactly what is enough or to much. Several years ago with all the kids grown and gone my wife and I moved from a 4800 sq ft house into a 2600 sq ft condo. We disposed of things that would not be needed in the condo. I did not however dispose of any gun related items. If fact in the process of moving I found things I forgot I had.

I now have one of the bedrooms with a walk in closet completely filled with guns, reloaders and gun related items. I am also trying to talk my way into using an additional bedroom for a study / gunroom. Do I have to many guns or gun related gear ? ABSOLUTELY NOT. You can never have to much!!!

this may seem an odd answer.

How much do you trust yourself?

most guys have things with them that are skyhooks.

it is pretty simple.

If you know it will help you, carry it.

Spend the time with everything else and decide.

that is where trusting yourself comes into play.

I keep a spare tire in my car because I hate

the alternatives. a corner of a car is heavy, ya know.

If a flat is not possible, skip the spare.

trust you can make good decisions and decide.

miranda

@Jaxshooter I don't mean collecting gun paraphernalia in general, but specifically for this sport. It's a never-ending cycle, and I'm wondering at which point I should stop fumbling around with my equipment and focus on being more proficient with what I have. I am catching myself getting in the mindset of always looking for a new bell and/or whistle. Maybe I should get mag extenders. Maybe I should get a bigger magwell. I should get an extended mag release. I should swap out the sights. Maybe I should upgrade from a G22 to a G35. Then I could put on different sights and an extended mag release and a bigger magwell.

This sport is really a combination of four related but distinct hobbies: shooting, reloading, gunsmithing and gun collecting. So naturally each of us is a different blend of the four, but there is usually a dominant force. Which is yours?

Edited by kneelingatlas

...It's a never-ending cycle, and I'm wondering at which point I should stop fumbling around with my equipment and focus on being more proficient with what I have.

Assuming you have a reliable gun, mags, rig, ammo to shoot or components to load (you can never have enough ammo or components) that point would be now. :devil:

Like others have said, spend sometime getting yourself into the sport, see what others are using and ask them why they made their choice, ask to handle or try the gear. Read up on stuff here and elsewhere. If you then feel you really want (past the minimums, you do not need) a particular piece of gear and can afford it, knock yourself out and get it.

You will end up with stuff that you find you don't like or use - everybody does. You then go to the Classifieds and sell it to someone who wants to try it, lose 50% of your initial cost and call it good.

Case in point:

I came back in 2011 (after a long layoff) and thought I'd shoot L10 and Limited with what I had, a SS and a wide body limited gun. Bought up a bunch of 10 round SS mags that have never been used because I found I could shoot L10 with my wide body. If I had more patience, I would have settled in and figured it out or someone would have told me. So those mags and a few other things are in storage waiting until I accumulate enough other stuff to have a yard sale in the Classifieds.

Well I am not sure exactly what is enough or to much. Several years ago with all the kids grown and gone my wife and I moved from a 4800 sq ft house into a 2600 sq ft condo. We disposed of things that would not be needed in the condo. I did not however dispose of any gun related items. If fact in the process of moving I found things I forgot I had.

I now have one of the bedrooms with a walk in closet completely filled with guns, reloaders and gun related items. I am also trying to talk my way into using an additional bedroom for a study / gunroom. Do I have to many guns or gun related gear ? ABSOLUTELY NOT. You can never have to much!!!

Never. That's why my next home is going to have a basement!

I am in a cleaning out and simplifying stage at the moment. I have chased all the different options and have settled on the fact that nothing is absolutely perfect and everything is a compromise in one way or another. This being said, I have finally found a system that works for me and I am going to stick with it for a bit. Yes, there are things I like better on different pistols and things I like better on different gear, but the system in a whole is the best I have found for me yet. Now I am going to take all those dollars I spent switching gear and buying something that should make me faster and spend them on reloading components and classes. I have a feeling this will be the year I improve the most. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

NEED MORE GEAR/STUFF ????

When is enough ,enough, "DAMEDIFIKNOW", maybe when one can-not carry it all from stage to stage.

I'm 77 and a lung cancer patient, still shoot USPSA, Steel Chall, 3Gun.

First of year bought a EZ_GO golf course maintance cart. Built a 4 gun rack in the back vertical. stocks set in the dump bed.

Kart has a trailer hitch, and a 2 Cyl Kalaw engine, Now I can buy more Stuff, Sheit, Gear, LOL

Have fun be SAFE,

Perry

I nearly died laughing my head off at that video, especially after a day at work in the pc government environment.

I truly had a zen moment watching that.

I do not collect gear yet but have two 1911's and want more, bit like doing stuff to the Harley - you do not need it but you must have it and it becomes and obsession and your focus is like a laser.

Guess what before you know it you have it or more gear or whatever. Sorry this would have been no help at all.

Let me ask this question: when you got into this sport, did you keep or sell all your gear/guns which didn't have a home in USPSA?

I only started shooting USPSA last September and when I did I sold roughly a dozen guns to make room for the avalanche of new stuff I knew was coming.

You can't tell a woman she has too many shoes.

Same principle applies to our shooting gear.

I didn't know there are other shooting sports other than uspsa. Lol jk

Too much gear,....... No I do not understand that concept. On a serious note I was very fortunate to be in the company of several master and GM s. I observed their gear and compared them between the differences.Asked questions about how they arrived on their present rig and made good choices I believe,all top of the line gear.single stack then limited followed by open and now three gun.So referring to my opening line. No I do not understand that concept.