Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom "graphite bronze" Cerakoted Eagle 5.0

lksyotas

Purchased my first 2011 a few months back and was worried about rust forming on the blued surfaces during the summer months of competition shooting. After reading rave reviews of Cerakote I decided I'd give it a try.. I just wanted to share a few pictures of my pistols transformation with everyone and get feedback on the custom graphite bronze color I applied last week.

I have always liked the Burnt Bronze Cerakote finish seen often on different weapon platforms. I also have seen a few different companies that are marketing a darker blend of the Burnt Bronze. This really appealed to me as the standard burnt bronze color appeared to be a bit to "blingy" for my tastes so I wanted to "darken it up a bit".

Stock gun brand new just cleaned:

IMG_2828_zps9d844f71.jpg

I first refinished the gun in standard Graphite Black. I really liked this color as it made the gun very "stealthy" or "tacticool". (I may go back to this color down the road...)

IMG_3078_zps83e62086.jpg

Finally the "graphite bronze" color. Simply put, I mixed Graphite Black with Burnt Bronze to achieve a slightly more subdued tone. The cool thing about this new darker shade of the Burnt Bronze is how drastically it changes color in different lights.

This is how it appears in a low lit room with standard incandescent lighting:

IMG_3240_zps7a7309be.jpg

Here it is in a room lit with florescent lighting:

IMG_3250_zpsaef7eb73.jpg

Again, same room but with more natural light added from a near by window:

IMG_3266_zpsc39017c7.jpg

Finally, how it appears in direct sunlight:

DSC02382_zps0fb29830.jpg

I think it turned out pretty cool - not sure if I'm going to keep it this color but non the less, it came out very interesting. What do you all think? Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by lksyotas

Thanks guys for the compliments!

Applying the Cerakote had a learning curve. I tried applying Cerakote with my standard airbrush that I've used for years applying KG Industries Gunkote 2400 series. The first few tries didn't go so well...I had to much material drying prior to hitting the surface and ended up with a very rough finish or if I had the correct volume, it was not covering enough area and I would end up with uneven streaks. So after several conversations with NIC reps, I invested in a recommended HVLP mini touch up gun. From there, it has been smooth sailing. The material goes on smooth and has a even appearance.

It is not as tough as I expected it to be. I wouldn't say it is any tougher than the Gunkote I'm used to using. After applying the latest color above, I've already got holster wear along the leading edge of the frame (approx. 500-1000 holster draws)

It did smooth out the action slightly, the slide truly feels like its on ball bearings now.

• 1 month later...

Purchased my first 2011 a few months back and was worried about rust forming on the blued surfaces during the summer months of competition shooting. After reading rave reviews of Cerakote I decided I'd give it a try.. I just wanted to share a few pictures of my pistols transformation with everyone and get feedback on the custom graphite bronze color I applied last week.

I have always liked the Burnt Bronze Cerakote finish seen often on different weapon platforms. I also have seen a few different companies that are marketing a darker blend of the Burnt Bronze. This really appealed to me as the standard burnt bronze color appeared to be a bit to "blingy" for my tastes so I wanted to "darken it up a bit".

IMG_2828_zps9d844f71.jpg

I first refinished the gun in standard Graphite Black. I really liked this color as it made the gun very "stealthy" or "tacticool". (I may go back to this color down the road...)

IMG_3078_zps83e62086.jpg

Finally the "graphite bronze" color. Simply put, I mixed Graphite Black with Burnt Bronze to achieve a slightly more subdued tone. The cool thing about this new darker shade of the Burnt Bronze is how drastically it changes color in different lights.

IMG_3240_zps7a7309be.jpg

IMG_3250_zpsaef7eb73.jpg

IMG_3266_zpsc39017c7.jpg

DSC02382_zps0fb29830.jpg

I think it turned out pretty cool - not sure if I'm going to keep it this color but non the less, it came out very interesting. What do you all think? Thanks for your feedback!

Looks Awesome!! What ratio of Black and Bronze did you use? I'm looking at refinshing my SBR it's Patriot Brown now and I really like that "Graphite Bronze"

Thanks

Adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks Awesome!! What ratio of Black and Bronze did you use? I'm looking at refinshing my SBR it's Patriot Brown now and I really like that "Graphite Bronze"

Thanks

Adam

Hello Adam, sorry for the late response. I hardly ever check back here to read the comments. I tried 10% bronze & then 20%. I ended up liking15% the best and that's what was sprayed on this gun.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_2828_zps9d844f71.jpg

IMG_3078_zps83e62086.jpg

IMG_3240_zps7a7309be.jpg

IMG_3250_zpsaef7eb73.jpg

IMG_3266_zpsc39017c7.jpg

DSC02382_zps0fb29830.jpg

Those are some are some sweet guns!!!

Just saw this. Your project turned out great!