Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPS refusing to delivery bullets

MI_Packer

20 boxes of bullets from Berry's arrived today.

The Benton Harbor MI postmaster refused to deliver.

Instead, post master called and said the boxes must be picked up at the post office. The post office is across the river (not through the woods) and in a bad part of town.

Upon arriving, postmaster said bullets can not be shipped via US Mail. Sure they can, you just aren't educated as to what bullets are. They are not ammunition.

Well the boxes have split, you can't ship these this way.

Post master, please we didn't ship them, we paid for shipping to our door. If your people would handle packages with respect, the boxes wouldn't split.

Complaint filed on USPS, I'll be surprised if there is any meaningful response.

Edited by MI_Packer

I got my small sample shipment of bullets (1000 of 230gr) from BBI last week and my mailman wasn't too happy bringing it to my doorstep. I'm guessing he wouldn't like delivering my full case order in two weeks either. :)

Dave, start calling up the ladder until you get someone to explain why they aren't doing their job. If that doesn't work, ask for the Postal Inspector's number. Last resort, call Upton.

I am on a walking route, but the postman drives to each area, so I fail to see why he can't just pull into the drive and dump them off.

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds-bullets are apparently another story.

I wish I had this issue but since I can't get any deliveries from Bayou yet its not really a problem!!! My mail lady is older, small and has back issues so I just have them hold them at the P.O. And save the drama.....

Dave, start calling up the ladder until you get someone to explain why they aren't doing their job. If that doesn't work, ask for the Postal Inspector's number. Last resort, call Upton.

Thanks Mike, will follow up on your advice.

The 830 to 430 hours of the post office doesn't jive with my work schedule to pick up at the post office I had to complain because I used to have a female mail person that wouldn't deliver my bullets. They eventually would swap her out on my bullet day. Now I have a different mail carrier.

I agree they're heavy ! But that's the deal-- if it fits in the box and under a specified weight, it ships for the flat rate--

The 4k I received last Fall via USPS-- I had to call the PO 3 times over 10 days to get them to deliver them as expected. The route guy just kept them in the truck I guess--because for over a week they were out for delivery status.

Recently, that last batch were shipped UPS and they showed up as expected.

I agree with the others-- make a few calls

When my last case of Montana gold 124s showed up the mail person knocked on the door and asked for assistance! She asked, what's in the box that's so dang heavy? At least they made it as far as the driveway and I was home. I'm guessing I'd have had to pick them up at the post office which would have been a pain.

The USPS didn't deliver my last case to the house because we had about three days of straight snow storms and they didn't think they could make it up my 1/2 long driveway. So they made the neighbor deal with them until I picked them up from their house. So instead of listening to the mailman cry about the weight I got to hear about it from the neighbor. No big deal. I don't even like carrying them from the car to the house.

I generally order 10K of 180's at a time. They are generally piled up in front of the garage door when I get home. Only once have I got the come and get'em note and that was before we got a new post office and zip code. I suppose I can't complain.

Last case of montana gold i got, the postman practically ran me over.. We had a language barrier problem and he tried to tell me he had nothing for me even after i showed him the tracking number.. He showed me the truck and I pointed to the box and he said oh the heavy one in a heavy asian accent.. I went as far as to bring my dolly out.. He was quite rude to me about the whole deal.. But i got my bullets!

It just depends on the person. My local mailman is fine but if I need to pick something up at the local PO....what a pain. You have to ring a buzzer and wait (generally a looong time) before someone will come to the door. The entire time you can hear them laughing and having a good time in the sorting area.

USPS offers the flat rate shipping up to 70lbs I think. If it weighs under the predetermined weight then they should deliver.

I got aggravated when I had to go pick up a box of brass that wasn't brought to my home the other day. Mailman stopped me in the street yesterday and said he didn't want to leave it on the porch just sitting there cause he thought it might be ammo. Apparently mines not lazy, was just looking out for me.

My local post office won't leave anyrging that's tagged insured (eg Montana Gold). No biggie, in a small town I don't want to get the reputation for breaking our mail lady's back. I just need to remember to leave the carry gun in the car.

If the flat rate boxes ever go away, reloading and online ammo sales will get A LOT more expensive.