Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with New Versa Max POI for upcoming match.

I picked up a new 26" Synthetic. I just got it all back together of having the receiver hogged out and lifter welded and all that good jazz. I throw on a noridic tube with no clamp (waiting on Carbon Arms Versa Tube) and head to the range to test this beast out. Bird shot is right on my POA distance is 25 yards or less. Try some slugs on paper distance roughly 40-50 yards and I notice my POI is 6" short. So I need help adjusting my POA. I am totally lost on how you adjust the stock to allow my POA to bring the POI up. Right now I have the meduim Comb on, should I go to the flush comb? Which way should I adjust the stock to bring my POA to the POI? Will this alter my bird shot impact? Debating what would be more important leave it alone to where the bird is right on or adjusting it for slugs and hold over for the bird? I got a match this weekend and to dot have much time for trial and error to correctly fix this issue since I just got my shotgun together today.

Thanks

Go with the flush insert so your head is lower and your eyes are looking along the top of the rib. Use the mid bead to make sure you are low enough, otherwise you will be shooting low, as you have found out...

http://www.pagegangster.com/p/LzO7r/#/page/55

An article to help. ^^^

And a minor admonishment...Shoot your new guns before you modify them. That way you get a good baseline to work from and if

you run into a manufacturing defect the gun can be repaired by the factory. Often they (factory) take a dim view of our 3G mods.

If I need to adjust the stock which way do I need to go?? Kinda lost, I will try the midbead, and throw it back on there. I never liked them at all

Same as rear sight on a pistol or rifle. Raise impact by raising the rear sight.

Unless you have a weird way of mounting the gun, you will need to raise the cheek piece to raise the point of impact.

I played around with the stock adjustments and went with the midbead the best i can get it is 3-4" low at 50 yards. Better than before but rather the shotgun hit where I aim. Birdshot and buck is where I aim. Thanks for your help and input!!

I played around with the stock adjustments and went with the midbead the best i can get it is 3-4" low at 50 yards. Better than before but rather the shotgun hit where I aim. Birdshot and buck is where I aim. Thanks for your help and input!!

Mount your gun. Line up the small bead with the front sight. Raise your head so you see a little bit of rib between the front sight and the small bead. Your point of impact will be higher.

The amount you raise your head off the stock to hit where you want will be the amount you will have to raise your cheek piece.

Shooting slugs only 3-4" low at 50 yards is a trivial error for a factory gun with fixed sights, assuming it has good windage. Bear in mind that the gun is quite likely to shoot higher when shooting offhand vs. off a bench due to increased muzzle rise - check this first. If the gun shoots shot perfectly for you, I would just hold a tad high on your slug targets. You could try raising the POI by stacking the muzzle bead on top of the mid-barrel bead. Also, try with the different choke tubes screwed in - it's possible that tube-to-tube variation could affect your POI by a few inches at 50. If you still can't get a zero you are happy with, try other brands of slug too.

If all else fails, check your zero at 75 yards... if it is spot on, just call it a 75 yard zero and move on :roflol:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

No expert here, but believe on a shotgun the eye looking down the barrel is the rear sight, so obviously need to raise it to raise POI. A lower front bead if possible, would accomplish the same thing.

Mark