Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting closer to fingertip or joint when going faster?

Esther

I've read in several places - and heard from some very good shooters - that their index finger naturally moves to contact the trigger at the fingertip when shooting fast. I find that I place my fingertip on the trigger when I want a very precise shot, but when I shoot faster my finger naturally moves to the joint.

Does anyone else have this experience?

I don't feel faster with my finger tip but like you I do find I can make more accurate shots. Might be because with my finger tip I'm pulling straight back on the trigger and not disturbing the sight picture as much.

Edited by lugnut

I use the pad of my finger closer to the joint. I don't change for different shots. I use what pulls the trigger straight back

But I can't run fast splits so take that for what its worth

Edited by Supermoto

It may have something to do with the type of trigger i.e. pivoting (like your XDM) vs. non-pivoting (1911/2011 pattern). I don't shoot pivots enough to do more than speculate.

Do you recall if you noticed this with your CZ? as compared to the XDM?

• 2 weeks later...

Just put your finger where you feel comfortable and work from there. If you have to change your trigger finger to shoot faster, you are missing the point of shooting fast. Don't spend time changing your joints, just shoot comfortably.

YMMV.