Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 slide lock question

67ls7vert

I have a STI Edge .40 with STI 140mm mags locking back with 1 round still in. I put new spring and followers in it.

I assume trimming the front left part of the follower is the corrective action but, how much?

Thanks

Chris

Edited by 67ls7vert

A little filing on the follower and/or a little filing on the slide stop.

Or, buy a "tuned" slide stop from Brazos.

Remove the slide from the frame.

Replace the slide stop in the frame.

Put loaded magazine in frame. (yes loaded with 2 or 3 rounds)

Push rounds out with your thumb.

See how the follower comes up and hits the slide stop? Thats what you're trying to fix.

Once you see it, its easy to figure out how to fix it.

I trim the follow down on the contact patch that you can see when a mag is inserted and the slide is open, just trim it down a little and try it, and keep going till you've taken enough off to prevent the slide from locking.

Any advantages to elimiate slide lock even on empty mag?

Yes, the slide won't lock back prematurely. Most uspsa shooters put a detent in the slide stop so that it will not lock the slide. You can modify the followers but it is best to modify the slide stop

^^^

What RedDot Paul sez. Also lots of folks grind down the protrusion on the slide stop which engages the mag follower. When you grind that down be sure to put a generous chamfer or ramp on the inside surface where the slide stop plunger first contacts the slide stop during installation to make it easier to install. Removing this slide stop protrusion also eliminates the possibility of the mag follower hanging up on the slide stop protrusion if you eject a totally empty mag. Nothing worse than smacking that eject button and not having the mag drop clear from the chute!

The detent Paul is referring to is on the slide stop where the plunger interfaces. Mark where the plunger interfaces with the slide stop in it's normal down position and then take a dremel burr or small ball end mill and make a small >not too deep< detent so the slide stop actually has to be manually pushed up to hold the slide back. Don't have to remove much material to make this happen.

In addition to the above, I also trim a little off the grams follower just in case.

Agreed, running to empty is rarely good but the OP was asking about a problem where the slide lock was engaging with one round left in the mag.

This is a fairly common problem with the high cap mags, especially if they are using an aftermarket follower.

To alleviate that problem it is best to just get rid of the slide lock features on the mag follower and/or the slide stop as locking back on empty really isn't needed on an open or limited gun.

I have grams followers in my mags. I just filed the slide lock tab until they wouldn't lock back. They work great and my gun doesn't lock back.

Now I just have to plan my mag changes so I don't go empty!

Edited by Frankl03

I have grams followers in my mags. I just filed the slide lock tab until they wouldn't lock back. They work great and my gun doesn't lock back.

Now I just have to plan my mag changes so I don't go empty!

I did the same thing. Works perfectly, and it was cheaper than a slide stop.

Mine is set up with the slide stop itself being cut back a bit so it doesn't lock back. It may be cheaper to cut a follower than a slide stop, but I don't have to trim 8 followers (and 8 followers cost more than a slide stop) or worry about issues if I use someone else's mag. At area one a shooter in my squad had a mag extension fail and borrowed another shooter's mag. Less than ideal, I know, but I would like to know my gun won't lock back empty- it's more predictable.

I use five (5) Brazo Tuned mags that are setup to only lock back on empty (done by my gunsmith). Does not lock back with one round remaining in the tube. Does not matter how many rounds are initally put in the mag, will only lock back when the mag is empty. I like it this way in case I blow it and go to empty, don't have to rack the slide, saves a little time.

I'm with 40S&W... I had mine locking back with one round left as well (grams followers). Filed them down a bit to where they all lock back only if empty now. Didn't take much time. I agree.... if it locks back.... I've done something wrong..... :) But I can feel immediately I am dry though. Mag change quick (well, quick as I can) and I'm back in the game. Perhaps when I get a little sharper I will go with eliminating that but for now I haven't had any issues with locking it back prematurely so will roll with it as is.

I'm in a similar situation with a STI Tactical 5 in 9mm. Currently the mags have Grams followers that are cut to disable the slide lock. I personally would like to get that functionality back. So I was planning to get a second set of Grams followers and get a spare slide lock. I was hoping by grinding a little from the follower and a little from the slide stop, I could get it to lock back on last round.

I was planning to get a spare slide lock to do this. Can anyone confirm if I need to look for a specific stop to work on my pistol frame? I see some stops out there marked 38 only and 45 only...

Bonus points; I am used to releasing the slide with my right thumb, so could I use one of the extended slide stops to achieve this? With my current setup I need to break my grip so much to release the slide that I have instead been releasing with the left thumb. It works fine but I sometimes in the heat of a stage I forget and get messed up a bit.

Thanks.