Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from Glock to 2011 style?

I am in the process of making the switch- just picked up and shot my 2011 tonight. Initially I wanted the balance and weight to be as similar to my glock (and single stack) as possible so I went with a slide lightened, bull barreled, and short dust cover gun. It is snappier than an edge style gun. The answer I am sure you will get is to try a couple of guns on a timer to measure splits and transitions. Welcome- it feels like cheating after running a Glock!

I am in the process of making the switch- just picked up and shot my 2011 tonight. Initially I wanted the balance and weight to be as similar to my glock (and single stack) as possible so I went with a slide lightened, bull barreled, and short dust cover gun. It is snappier than an edge style gun. The answer I am sure you will get is to try a couple of guns on a timer to measure splits and transitions. Welcome- it feels like cheating after running a Glock!

Feels like cheating for sure. If my Glock 34 finds out, she's going to be so pissed at me. :roflol:

I shot a G34 and I liked it a lot. Then I bought an Edge and now I've been selling my glocks. It is a great gun that I really enjoy shooting. i was used to the grip angle of the glock so i put in an arched mainspring housing and it now points the same. I would look at the classifieds here for a used edge. There are usually some good deals out there.

I was having issues with a custom 9mm in 2011, which I am still working on. Anyway, a friend of mine told me to just go with a Glock 34 and forget about it. Well, I have been shooting single stack, then bought an Edge and went to limited, and then tried shooting his Glock again. I had another friend buy a Glock 34 and I tried to shoot his, didn't like it. I keep coming back to the 1911/2011 platform. I love it, some love Glocks, but for me......2011 is where it is at!

I'm seriously considering switching from Glock to the 2011. Any suggestions on what would be the right one to go with?

What do you want to do with it? Define that, then you can settle on caliber, and head toward the gun that will be right for you.

I just recently made a switch from shooting a Glock 34 for IDPA and multi gun to a STI Eagle 5.0 9mm. While I love the 2011 style guns, especially with a good tuned trigger, I just haven't been able to get my shooting with it to the point where I'm ready to give up on my old faithful Glock 34. I really...really...want to fall in love with the 2011 but I am still shooting my Glock slightly faster with the same level of accuracy. After practice yesterday at the range, I was honestly thinking about selling my 2011 and resorting back to the Glock. Am I crazy or what!...Granted, I've put over 15,000 rounds down range with the Glock and just over 1000 with the STI - I think I was just expecting leaps and bounds more accuracy and speed from the STI than what I've been able to achieve to this point. Also, from a cost standpoint, I wonder if I should stick with a gun that costs around 4 times what the Glock costs for the same level of performance.

I'm not going back to plastic guns! I love me Edge. I shot my G35 like a laser, but I'm pretty much there with my Edge. It takes a while to get used to when switching! I really like the decreased recoil with the heavier gun. I think the full dust cover helps too!

I really like the decreased recoil with the heavier gun. I think the full dust cover helps too!

That statement right there was one of the things I was a bit disappointed with in the 2011 - I had a Spartan 5.0 9mm I used previously in ESP for IDPA and loved the reduced recoil felt from that gun over my Glocks due to it being fully steel construction. I ended up going with an Eagle recently as I never liked the way a single stack 1911 felt in my hand after being used to the 2x4 feel of the Glock. But with a polymer grip on the Eagle, it feels very similar to my Glocks as far as recoil impulse with the exception of the slide "feeling" slower when recoiling. Plus I live in NY so the benefits of having the double stack mag in the 2011 doesn't do me any good...The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards selling the 2011 and going back to the plain Jane ugly Tupperware gun...

I purchased a used Eagle a few months ago. I like it way better than the Glock 35 I was using for limited as well. I think a few of my Glocks will be going up for sale shortly. Ill keep one for a back up and a 9mm in case I decide to try production.

all i can say is when i shoot my open gun (2011), along with everyone else shooting their 2011 limited or open guns, it's an obsession to keep the mags clean, prescreen all the ammo and expect the occasional jam, religiously clean the gun after each match..

when shooting glock, all the focus is on shooting, not on clean or dirty mags, what ammo you're feeding it, malfunction drills, etc. and if it goes a few matches without getting cleaned, so what.

but clearly glocks don't come close to 2011 triggers.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. I used to shoot glocks, but I find the 2011's much nicer. Trigger pull is easier. They do have a tendency to feel slower. Like Benny said, though, a light 2011 with a nice trigger is unbeatable. Shoot an edge back to back with a custom built and lightened 2011 and you will understand. There's just no comparison.

The weight (and weight distribution) of a 2011 limited gun is probably the biggest factor to give consideration to. When I first started shooting limited, I got a major boost by using a really heavy SV sight-tracker. The gun managed the recoil well making for easy splits and smooth shooting. As my shooting has progressed, I've found myself gravitating toward the lighter guns.

The trade-off seems to be recoil control vs. fast target indexing, and what's right for you probably boils down to shooting style. As my indexing between targets has become much more aggressive, the fast transitions offered by an overall lighter gun outweigh the of recoil control advantage offered by heavier guns. Obviously, many other shooters have concluded that the advantage runs in the other direction.

If you don't like the recoil control offered by your glock, a heaver 2011 is probably for you.

Well I am the odd one out. I have shot 2011 STI for five years, did pretty well but all me " friends" told me I should switch to Glock. Ok bought a 34 and a 17 had them all tuned and ready for comp. Problem was I can not shoot a GLOCK for Shi$ by scores dropped to the bottom of the sewer. Many said you just need time to get use to the glock. Ok, gave it four months and I CAN NOT SHOOT A GLOCK FOR SHI&

Sold them all and went to a M&P Pro 5" have the trigger by apex put in, did the right spring and my scores went right back up. What this says to me is what ever you shoot if it does not fit you most likely it will show in target hits. Just Saying.

I had almost the opposite experience of Ken. I switched from my very heavy limited gun to a G34 limited gun setup for 3gun and my scores (particularly my hits) improved drastically. I don't think it was due to the differences in the two platforms, since I've been shooting both regularly for several years. Rather, I attribute it to a change in my shooting style to very aggressive target indexing. I couldn't stop the heavy limited gun as fast as I was transitioning targets and would shoot a lot of "Alpha Charlie"s as the gun continued to move laterally. Switching to the lighter glock (I suspect results would be the same with a light 2011) cured the problem since the gun was much easier to stop when indexing between targets.