Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The dot is your friend!

DrLove

folks, newbie open shooter here. so as they say, the dot is your friend. question is, last week I shot my first open and I did lose the dot a couple of times. Does that happen to all of you open shooters?

With my setup, the dot bounces up and down within the A zone. It took a while to add the correct parts to the gun and develop the correct load to match the comp.

If you are losing it on the draw and "stirring" to find it, then try canting the muzzle upward in the last couple of inches of your presentation and then roll your wrists down. That will make the dot drop right out of the top of the aperture, so you can focus there to pick it up.

If you are losing it between shots or between targets, then you have some work to do on your load and the balance of the gun.

BC

Awkward positions will also cause you to lose the dot. Practice it WHO/SHO and then hard leans, low port positions, etc. This is just practice and muscle memory. What Bill mentioned early is very true, load development and the right parts are the key to that.

Awkward positions will also cause you to lose the dot. Practice it WHO/SHO and then hard leans, low port positions, etc. This is just practice and muscle memory. What Bill mentioned early is very true, load development and the right parts are the key to that.

Yeah I mostly lose it through low ports! I guess I just need to practice this more...

Sounds to me like you need some practice and dry fire. I have been trying out a couple of Open guns lately and have issues finding the dot. Those who were with me that were also Open shooters told me it was the way I was presenting the gun. I was bringing it up to high and loosing the dot. You are likely doing something similar. It's apparently fairly normal when you first start shooting with a dot. Nothing a little practice can't fix.

It still happens to me as pretty much a newbie. I switched from Aimpoint to C-more and its getting better. I'm doing more and more dry fire practice and its getting better. Someday I hope it will become instinctual.

As a farely new open shooter myself sounds like u just need dryfire time... I put a dot on my wall and do dryfires at it.... Once u do it enough times u should beable to close ur eyes pull ur gun up, open ur eyes and be staring at ur dot....

Yeah I mostly lose it through low ports! I guess I just need to practice this more...

When you are going into ports you are short arming the gun, keep your arms streched out but not locked. This also seems to happen after a reload when you first start, practice in all kinds of odd postitions that helps.