Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wst in 45 acp

bodene 5

I plan to switch to shooting 45acp this year. I haven't chosen my bullet yet 200gr SWC vs 230gr RN nor have I decided whether to shoot Coated or Lead. I have both N-320 and WST available, I was looking forward to trying the WST for the first time, is that the powder of choice of the two?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just loaded up some WST at 4.6gr with Berry plated 230 rn haven't had a chance to chrono. Will this be close to major out of 5" 1911? Oal is 1.249

Based on what I've read on other threads I would expect that to be close...I'm using the same powder and berrys and loaded some at 4.8 definitely a hot load and are now loading 4.5 until I can chrono them.

• 7 months later...

Plated 200 Gr HP tips and WST from a 4.25" barrel, if any info would be appreciated. to make 165000 PF.

You didn't say who's 200gr bullet...but I suspect 5gr is a reasonable starting point and that you'll have to work up a bit from there.

With Clays being non-existent I was able to get 8lbs of WST from my local reloading shop. Looking forward to loading up and chrono'ing the different loads.

Currently I have 26 different charges listed on my data sheet I need to test. The plan is to load of 10 rounds for each bullet type and WST starting from the min and working to max.

I will gladly post the results when completed. Right now the bullet types are: Bayou 230 RN, Xtreme Plated 230 RN, Better Bullets 225 LTC, and Better Bullets poly-coated 200 SWC (new product)

Everything will be run from an XDM 5.25 over a ProChrono Digital. I'm hoping to hit the rage before it gets too cold.

• 1 month later...

Just ran two different test groups (20 rounds each) of WST over the chrono today pushing Xtreme 200gr RN.

5" barrel

1.250" OAL. (+/- .005)

4.8gr = 155PF

4.9gr = 165PF

Ambient temp was 34 degrees. I didn't expect that much of an increase in .1 grain. Also min/max velocities range was about +/-50fps, not quite as consistent as I'd hoped.

I think I'll bump up to 5.0gr and see how that feels for a hundred rounds or so.

Edited by IronicTwitch

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got out to the range to chrono my rounds with WST. All fired across a ProChrono Digital from an XDM 5.25.

Key:

LTC - Roger's Better Bullets Lead Truncated Cone

Bayou - Bayou Bullets RN

Xtreme - Xtreme plated RN

BB-PC - Roger's Better Bullets polycoated lead RN (the 200gr. was SWC's)

*Caveat: the Xtreme loads were off the first time and I'm not sure why. Possible I messed up measuring the charges, The data from the 9th is more on point as I triple checked my charges.

Some of my best results were the BB-PC rounds. low deviation and spread.

~Load Data.pdf

Edited by bigdawgbeav

• 7 years later...
On 5/23/2013 at 11:37 AM, rocice said:

I use WST with BBI 200 gr SWC and X-Treme 200 gr SWC, 4.8 gr, OAL 1.235, very soft shooting.

Sounds interesting. Saw this post, though years old. Same interest. Want to load   X-treme 200 SWC with WST. I lucked out to be at my LGS when a few pounds of WST came in. Did web search and grabbed a pound for my project: to work up loads for 45 ACP with 200 SWC using WST for 1911s, CZ and Kimber. Built dummy round..plunk test with 1.2355 so bullet misses rifling. I like soft to moderate loads that are clean burning. Was searching for load data published load data and saw this post….though years old. If not against the rules I would like to hear more on this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 3/14/2023 at 4:12 PM, MHicks said:

I use WST for 200gr coated lead swc, 4.9grns around 175pf.  

Be aware WST is inverse temperature sensitive, in the extreme.  It loses velocity as the ambient temps increase.

I use to load with it and just adjusted, but ultimately found better and more stable powders.  I've used it in 45 acp, 38 short colt and 40 s&w.

The extreme note example was at the 2019 MW ICORE Regional.  A buddy failed chrono, needed 800 and couldn't make 720.  Talking afterward and he said he was running close to 850 when he chronographed in March, at under 40 deg.  The match was in July at 100+ deg (this was at the Columbia, Mo Bianchi Cup Range and it's always hotter in that pit).  Then I asked him his load, yep WST.  Fit with my experiences.

It's a clean & accurate powder, so just be aware.

Thanks. The area I live in is typically 100+ degrees in the summer and I haven't had a problem. My pf has crept up to upper 170s and could have been a little cooler weather at a couple of majors. Now I'm giving Limited Optics a try shooting 9mm minor. Need to do some testing with afew different powders before shooting a major match.

i dunno I suspect something else is up with that much lost velocity.. I used WST for major and minor 40 for decades and never had enough velocity swing to matter..  I remember 1 area 8 where it was flat miserable and well over 100 degrees. Also shot majors in HI with ammo I chrono'd in VA.. 
Although I have to admit, I am not one to be doing chrono work in freezing weather.