Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time Shooting my Glock. Slide Locking back after every shot.

SpaceFlunky

So I took my newly acquired G24 out to break her in today. I moved to a Glock from the M&P platform. I am using the same grip as I did on my M&P9 but it looks like my left palm is riding the extended slide lock that the G24 comes with. Im guessing this is a common occurrence? Do people just try to adjust their left hand grip or just put the "stock" slide lock on the gun?

The posts above are correct but there is one thing you might check first. Take the slide off the frame. Turn the frame upside down. Pull down on the slide catch and release it. Does it snap back up? If not either the spring is broken, worn, or on the wrong side of the pin. It can happen. Worth checking.

A quick easy test is to remove the magazine and pull the slide to the rear. Does it lock back? Spring is on the wrong side. If it does not try turning the gun over so that the slide is down. pull the slide to the rear and if it locks back you have a broken spring.

Most put the standard slide catch on

I had the same problem when I used the extended slide release. Best bet is to switch it over to the standard release and that should fix your problem.

I'll start looking around for a standard Glock 22 slide lock. Thanks for the replies!

The posts above are correct but there is one thing you might check first. Take the slide off the frame. Turn the frame upside down. Pull down on the slide catch and release it. Does it snap back up? If not either the spring is broken, worn, or on the wrong side of the pin. It can happen. Worth checking.

That is indeed worth looking into and I will give that a go this evening before shopping online.

A quick easy test is to remove the magazine and pull the slide to the rear. Does it lock back? Spring is on the wrong side. If it does not try turning the gun over so that the slide is down. pull the slide to the rear and if it locks back you have a broken spring.

Just reread your post. Are you left handed? If so then it is possible for your palm to be pushing on the slide lock. Install the standard one and things should be better.

Im right handed. The meaty part of my support hand is right on the slide lock. I used the same grip with my M&P9 and never had an issue, I also never had an extended one on my previous gun.

I have extended releases on all my competition glocks and have once and only once in thousands of rounds had the slide lock back accidentally. Plenty of other people have had different results though. I like them. YMMV.

I have extended releases on all my competition glocks and have once and only once in thousands of rounds had the slide lock back accidentally. Plenty of other people have had different results though. I like them. YMMV.

I'm with this guy. When I first put the extended slide lock on mine I had it lock to the rear once on my at a local match. It showed me that I was holding the gun wrong. I fixed my grip with a little dry fire prcatice and have not had an issue with it since then.

This is a pretty common problem with new right-handed Glock shooters. Check your grip to make sure that your right thumb is not touching the slide stop lever when you are shooting. There is a ridge under the lever, placed there for you to find a place to "index" your thumb so that you don't touch the lever. If you touch it while firing, one of two things may happen: the slide will lock back unexpectedly if you push it up, and if you push it down the slide will not lock back when the magazine is empty. Extended slide stop levers make the shooter's tendency to induce this problem more acute.

Chris

I'm with this guy. When I first put the extended slide lock on mine I had it lock to the rear once on my at a local match. It showed me that I was holding the gun wrong. I fixed my grip with a little dry fire prcatice and have not had an issue with it since then.

This is a pretty common problem with new right-handed Glock shooters. Check your grip to make sure that your right thumb is not touching the slide stop lever when you are shooting. There is a ridge under the lever, placed there for you to find a place to "index" your thumb so that you don't touch the lever. If you touch it while firing, one of two things may happen: the slide will lock back unexpectedly if you push it up, and if you push it down the slide will not lock back when the magazine is empty. Extended slide stop levers make the shooter's tendency to induce this problem more acute.

Chris

I'd like to keep the extended slide lock on the gun, but it looks like i'll have to move my left hand forward a bit so that my palm doesnt ride the lock. I only took 100 shots with it and like 20% of them resulted in the slide locking back. I just need to fire the gun more.

I'm one of those people who can't use an extended slide release/lock lever. I change them out to the standard and haven't had any issues in 5 years. But for some reason I don't have the problem of engaging the slide lock on my P30 and that thing is massive.

• 6 months later...

Bingo. That happened on my G35!

I don't like the extended slide release. I either ride the slide release so the slide doesn't lock back which is annoying, or I have my thumb below it and sometimes lock the slide back before empty which is a bigger problem. My thumbs/hands are big enough that I don't have a problem manipulating the stock slide release so I don't see the point in keeping it when the non-extended one is a $7 part.

I have since fixed this problem by switching back to the standard size slide lock on my carry gun, a G19 and on my Limited Glock 24, I had a friend Dremel off the tab so that it only locks back with an empty mag. I read somewhere that Vogel does the same thing to his Limited guns due to his high grip.

3BOKXkpl.jpg?1

do note that dremeling off that tab is no go for production. I switched my extended slide release to the standard one on my 34.

I would run the standard size mag lock lever if I were to run a Glock in production. The Glock 24 is strickly a Limted/Limted 10 gun due to the size of the barrel.

• 5 years later...

If the gun has been dissembled and put back together, most likely the free end of the slide lock spring is  on the wrong side of the retainer pin. The lever will be floppyinstead of firmly down. 

Edited by Pop