Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lightening,what do you think?

twister

I recently had the slide lightened on my Tactical Sport, and I'm not sure that was the best thing to do. I would like to know what others think after having it done. Should you change the recoil spring,and if so, lighter or heavier? Thanks for any help you can offer,Dave.

Dave, I know exactly what you mean! I cut 1.8 oz out of my slide and thought "what happened to my powder puff TS?!?"

The recoil impulse is much snapier, although it probably doesn't help that so far I've only shot it with 185PF factory ammo. I added a slide racker which put about an ounce back on and tamed it quite a bit.

IMG_20130203_105009_016_zps14deebce.jpg

I don't know if I've just gotten used to it, or the grip training I've been going, but I feel compelled to take it off again.

Shay and I discussed lightening the slide on my TS when he did the grip reduction. He was of the opinion that the benefit on the TS was marginal. I left the slide alone. If the idea of lightening the slide is to increase to its velocity so the gun cycles faster, putting heavy recoil spring to take some of the snap out is probably counterproductive.

The explanation of slide velocity I've read which makes sense to me is that cycle time remains unaffected by recoil spring weight: a light spring lets the slide travel back faster, but returns it to battery slower; a heavy spring slows the rearward travel, but drives it home faster. I lightened slide reduces the reciprocating weight, reducing the spring force required to slow it down and changing the character of the impulse created when the slide slams rearward. The best way I can describe it is if shooting the stock TS is like listening to "The Memory Remains" and with the lightened slide it's like "Breadfan".

Dave, if you want less snap, I would suggest a heavier bullet, or adding some weight back onto the slide, the spring won't do it (I tried every spring from 20# to 10#). After the reduction I tried the Sprinco Recoil Reducer, but I felt little effect and that which I did feel I wasn't fond of.

The spring selection method I prefer is the double tap: take aim and pull the trigger twice as fast as you can, don't reacquire the sights. If the second shot is consistently high you could use a heavier to bring you back on target faster, if you second shot is consistently low, the slide is slamming forward too hard and dipping the muzzle. Obviously the results will vary with your grip strength and your trigger control, but this worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to send my TS out for some custom work and was considering lightening the slide. From the sounds of it, it doesn't improve anything. Guess that's a good thing as it will be saving me some money :)

• 1 month later...

Since I converted my TS to a 9mm Open gun my lightened .40 top end mostly just sits in the safe, so if anyone wants to work out a rental, trade or purchase with trial period, send me a PM. I figure it could be a way to scratch that itch without so much risk.

Anybody have a weight comparison of a STI slide vs TS? I've thought about lightening mine but it cycles so fast now I didn't see the need.

Last stage in the video I shot the right popper that activated the 2 swingers. I got all 3 static papper and both swingers on the first presentation.

Since I converted my TS to a 9mm Open gun my lightened .40 top end mostly just sits in the safe, so if anyone wants to work out a rental, trade or purchase with trial period, send me a PM. I figure it could be a way to scratch that itch without so much risk.

Buy a 75SA and slap that top end on it. Just don't fear the dremel.

• 2 months later...

Anybody have a weight comparison of a STI slide vs TS? I've thought about lightening mine but it cycles so fast now I didn't see the need.

Last stage in the video I shot the right popper that activated the 2 swingers. I got all 3 static papper and both swingers on the first presentation.

I had the same though as you all. I weighed the slide on my TS (389g) and the slide on my 5" Sight Tracker 2011 (333g). I love the way my 2011 shoots and wonder if I would benefit from trying make the slides similar in weight. I will say the 2011 is for Major .40 and the TS is for minor 9mm. I would think you could go even lighter with the 9mm before it becomes too snappy. With a 10lb recoil spring, watching slow motion videos of me shooing it it looks a little on the slow side. Do you guys think it would be worth lightening the TS slide for minor 9mm where it may not be for a major .40?

-Eli

• 5 years later...
On 5/30/2013 at 2:03 PM, mspiredm3 said:

I am about to send my TS out for some custom work and was considering lightening the slide. From the sounds of it, it doesn't improve anything. Guess that's a good thing as it will be saving me some money :)

curious where you sent your TS for work?