Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA RO Course

SoCalNoMore

I am going to be taking the course very soon. Do any of you know if that test is an open book type of test or should I memorize all of the Rule numbers and the basic behind each one?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to be as prepared as possible.

Upon further research it seems that the test is a "Take home" test to be completed. Sounds open book to me.

Edited by SoCalNoMore

You must memorize every rule and number. As well as any cross references.

Joking...it's open book. However it's set up where you do have to look for answers. I liked the format. You will do ok, and welcome to the ranks. :-)

Joking...it's open book. However it's set up where you do have to look for answers. I liked the format. You will do ok, and welcome to the ranks. :-)

Hey, you got my hear rate up!! Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it. I will study and memorize the obviously important items that I see often argued about while at the range.

Screw the ToC and Index. Download the PDF version and use the search feature. (I did have to reference the paper rulebook at the range a couple of weeks ago. The Index is pretty thorough, and should help you find what you need, as long as you are somewhat familiar with the rulebook.)

Like others have said, it is open book. Be very careful when answering the questions though. Read each one very slowly and make sure you know exactly what it's asking.

They tend to hide the question in the wording and it is easy to give the obvious answer and not the one they're looking for. If you do it right you will probably read the entire rule book several times during the process.

Hey, you got my hear rate up!! Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it. I will study and memorize the obviously important items that I see often argued about while at the range.

Bring a blank rule book -- one without notes in the margins, a pen, and a yellow highlighter. Highlight the critical words in a rule -- and only the critical words. Highlight references to rule numbers, and rule numbers of rules you must consider together that appear sequentially. Make notes in the margin.

Then tuck that rulebook in your range bag -- when you need to refer to it, the notes and highlights will speed up finding the relevant info....