Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tear down: who is responsible for it and making it happen?

ProGunGuy

shot the local match today. right after our squad finished, 2 guys just grabbed their bags and took off. They seemed to have experience shooting uspsa by how they shot.

So in these kinda situations, who is responsible for having people tear down stages?? MD? RO? If people continually do it, what recourse is there? Can they be banned from the club?

Thanks

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our club hosted it's first USPSA match ever this weekend. We found the same issue which lead to those of us who set up the day before and worked it all day, were being left at the range for an extra 45 minutes tearing everything down as well. After talking about it, we realized that at the shooters meeting, we may have left out that little tid bit "tear down whatever stage you finish on". At least half of the shooters were experienced, but there are clubs that charge a little more and pay their crew to take care of everything. It was found out pretty quickly, that if you don't make it clear that all the staff is volunteering and wants to get home in time for the game as well, then everyone will leave as soon as the last shot is fired.

Edited by partyboy424

It is a a bit of give and take. I shot a match yesterday where they put all of us who drove several hours to get there near the front of the shooting order for the last stage. They appreciated our attendance and our willingness to work during the stages. They gave us the opportunity to leave as soon as we finished because we would still be on the road when they finished tearing down. I have also spent many a time tearing down upon completion of our last stage. Sometimes it is help carry it back to the shed, sometimes it is tear it down and stack it at the mouth of the bay so that the trailer crew can pick it up. I have spent even more time tearing down my own stages.

We understand who or when people have other commitments and understand when they have to leave early. Many times they make up for it by arriving early and helping to get things set up :cheers:

We also know who the people are who come out to shoot and who will then leave as soon as they finish even if they have the time to help because the rest of the shooters will take care of it. :angry:

Fortunately we have very few of the latter.

Edited by Poppa Bear

Here in AZ lots of clubs around and people take the opportunity to get to lots of different clubs matches. Clubs all work differently, Rio Salado is open squadding so you show up and shoot the stages at your discretion. You could be done shooting hours before the last shooter is done. Not a member there but have shot there a few times, i get done I head home. Other smaller clubs ask for help tearing down and specifically ask club members to help with this. Fortunately for our club all props and stands just have to be stacked at the head of the bay; takes about 10 minutes to tear a stage down. If you are not a member of our club we don't expect you to stay and help but we do appreciate it. Some people will do what ever it takes to help, members of the club or not. Those are usually the ones that have done this by themselves or with little help in the past.

It is a a bit of give and take. I shot a match yesterday where they put all of us who drove several hours to get there near the front of the shooting order for the last stage. They appreciated our attendance and our willingness to work during the stages. They gave us the opportunity to leave as soon as we finished because we would still be on the road when they finished tearing down. I have also spent many a time tearing down upon completion of our last stage. Sometimes it is help carry it back to the shed, sometimes it is tear it down and stack it at the mouth of the bay so that the trailer crew can pick it up. I have spent even more time tearing down my own stages.

We understand who or when people have other commitments and understand when they have to leave early. Many times they make up for it by arriving early and helping to get things set up :cheers:

We also know who the people are who come out to shoot and who will then leave as soon as they finish even if they have the time to help because the rest of the shooters will take care of it. :angry:

Fortunately we have very few of the latter.

i understand situation like this, but for us, it was just tearing down our own stage. when a guy was going to getting permision to tear down, the guys took off.

In our shooters meeting before the match we ask that if you can help with break down it would be of great help to us, because we don't want to get burnt out and not be able to host the match.

Those who drive some distance may leave but for the most part we get the help we need.

If everyone helps out, even extravagant stages get broken down and put away in less than 15 minutes.

It helps to have a knowledgeable person directing people where to put specific items..."a place for everything and everything in it's place" kinda thing. That also helps setup next time.

It is part of our match briefing to “please help break down the stages in the bay your squad finishes up in”. Works pretty well although some people never help. It all gets done, those that will get abused, such is life. It would be really nice to have few more people actually DESIGNING and taking responsibility for setting up a stage. I know this whining falls on deaf ears of those individuals who do multiple stages (or the whole match) each month.

I remind our shooters during the match safety brief that shooting a USPSA match is "all Volunteer" and that no one gets paid to be here.

Most stay and help but there are afew who "shoot-n-scoot". Actually the shoot-n-scooters are usually the same ones every match. And sometimes you get an occasional experienced person(s) who thinks they are too good to do any tear down. Live with it.

I understand that some folks have to leave early and they usually tell me before or during the match. Just the way it is.

shot the local match today. right after our squad finished, 2 guys just grabbed their bags and took off. They seemed to have experience shooting uspsa by how they shot.

So in these kinda situations, who is responsible for having people tear down stages?? MD? RO? If people continually do it, what recourse is there? Can they be banned from the club?

Thanks

Did you ask them to help tear down? Did they say no?

Banning people or zero'ing their scores is pathetic

Thanks

Did you ask them to help tear down? Did they say no?

Banning people or zero'ing their scores is pathetic

More pathetic than never helping to tear down?

At the DTR, I always manage to get help from a few individuals with tear down and some set up. I do not rely on these folks and if I ask I always get plenty of help. I also understand that folks come from a couple of hours away and need to grab a bite and get on the road. I feel we have a great body of shooters in this sport and it is my opinion if you just ask they will step up. On the other side of that coin is the folks that do not do anything at a match, you have to stay on them just to get them to tape. Hopefully they do not act that way at their home club. For those of you that help at every match you go to no matter where, thank you and keep up the good work. You are welcome at the DTR if you help or not.

Steven

If it is open squading then I more than understand and used to shoot at a club that had that. I shot and went to lunch with good friends. The club was set that way and it worked.

Now having moved and shoot with a club that doesn't open squad due to range realities, I agree more with zeroing scores, if it is a habitual problem. Everyone knows you need to scoot from time to time and if you tell the MD or RO why before hand, I have never seen a problem. I have shot with and torn down with everyone from D's to nationally known GM's and virtually all have understood the true meaning of "volunteer sport".

As far as being pathetic? Well, let's just say your actions show your true self. If you don't get the arguement, you aren't worth talking about.

Edited by USCSBarney

Rachet down, folks.

If you are going to post on this forum, post is a polite and respectful manner...per our rules here. This forum isn't a soapbox. It exists so we can improve our shooting.

- Admin.

Rachet down, folks.

If you are going to post on this forum, post is a polite and respectful manner...per our rules here. This forum isn't a soapbox. It exists so we can improve our shooting.

- Admin.

And match etiquette :cheers:

As a few have said, at our shoots where you finish is where you tear down. It seems to work. I believe set up is actually a bigger problem. Thanks to all that do that, whatever club yer from. Without you guys we don't break down anything, do we?

We have a card that is read during the shooter's meeting and the last line specifically asks for help taping, setting and tearing down. I think we all know the locals who show up, shoot and leave, are the same ones who don't help during the shoot either. Threatening is not the way to go, as some are prima donnas, some are ancient or disabled, and some are just lazy. The second you threaten one of the lazies, they start pointing out the weakest of the groups as reasons they don't help. I say let the lazies leave and have the true shooters and supporters of the sport be the examples for the next generations.

post-25074-0-46378300-1368471095_thumb.j

At Maine Practical Shooters, I've been lucky to have a core group arrive early and get the set up process started with people pitching in as they arrive - just about everybody sticks around for the tear down that ends up taking about 15 minutes. When someone needs to scoot, they'll let me know and everyone is cool with it.

Our club rule is if u don't help tear down then they will zero all ur stages

And what rule do you cite for that? Or have you had this local rule approved by NROI? Edited by spanky