Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 build

drglock

I'm getting ready to send my .308 to Phoenix Custom for a make over.

I've been thinking I should go with a .260 instead of the .308.

I want to use it in precision rifle matches and I just don't think the .308 has the reach to get out much over 1000 yds.

However when I look at the pics of this rifle and the groups you've been shooting with it, the temptation to stay with the .308 is powerful.

I'm really struggling with this.

Especially when I think of all the reloading tools and components I've invested in.

Don't like the idea of having to buy all new dies, etc.

I'm getting ready to send my .308 to Phoenix Custom for a make over.

I've been thinking I should go with a .260 instead of the .308.

I want to use it in precision rifle matches and I just don't think the .308 has the reach to get out much over 1000 yds.

However when I look at the pics of this rifle and the groups you've been shooting with it, the temptation to stay with the .308 is powerful.

I'm really struggling with this.

Especially when I think of all the reloading tools and components I've invested in.

Don't like the idea of having to buy all new dies, etc.

It all depends on what you want to do with it . Most of the PRS guys run 6mm guns (.243,6 Creedmoor, 6x47 and so forth ).

I had PCR build me a 6.5 Creedmoor last year. No need to reload for the Creedmoor unless you just want to. Mine shoots the Hornady 140 A-Max's factory loads under 1/2 inch .

I know a lot of the PRS guys are shooting the 6's right now and I guess that's the trendy pick.

Precision shooters are a fickle bunch.

They are on a never ending quest for a competitive edge and the 6 is the flavor of the month.

The way I see it,....

Any cartridge that has the powder capacity to push a round out to 1200 yds (and still remain supersonic) is going to be overbore with a 6mm bullet

That means short barrel life, especially with high rates of fire heating up the barrel

I think I prefer to stick with the 6.5

I've considered the .260 vs the Creedmoor quite a bit and I know much has been said and written about it.

Right now I am leaning toward the .260

I like the fact that .260 brass is available from Lapua

Don't care much for Hornady brass, (not consistent enough) and that is what it comes down to with the Creedmoor

I wouldn't have thought that the factory A-max would shoot that well, so now you've given me something new to consider.

IF, I wanted to go with a 6, it would likely be a 243.

One more point,,,,,

You have built a beautiful precision rifle. What was your reasoning for going with the .308?

Tls

Edited by 38superman

Nosler and Norma both offer 6.5 Creedmoor brass. As a matter of fact, I'm about to buy some Nosler (future bolt gun) and Hornady (future semi-auto could be hard on them, so use cheaper cases) brass myself.

If I ever get good enough at the long range games to need the slight possible advantage of a 6mm round, I'll call that a good problem! Meanwhile, 6.5 Creedmoor for me.

It's my plinker gun , I have a buddy that has steel targets from 400-800 that we shoot as often as we can and I already had a SPS Tactical in .308 . After getting hooked shooting steel out to 800 I decided to up the ante and sent it off to be rebuilt and the end result is what you see now . I stuck with the .308 because I already had a bunch of components for it .

Then last year I had them build me the 6.5 Creedmoor to use as my hunting/plinker.

The .308 is getting sent off to PCR again next month to have it rebarreled with a 28 inch 1-10 Heavy Varmint so I can start shooting F/TR matches .

Edited by drglock

Here's a pic from Snipers hide shot from an AI AX with a TBAC suppressors. Both are 5 shot groups at 100yds. Just shows what is capable with a good 6.5 Creedmoor and factory match ammo.

image_zps8nvmarxo.jpg

Edited by drglock

It's my plinker gun , I have a buddy that has steel targets from 400-800 that we shoot as often as we can and I already had a SPS Tactical in .308 . After getting hooked shooting steel out to 800 I decided to up the ante and sent it off to be rebuilt and the end result is what you see now . I stuck with the .308 because I already had a bunch of components for it .

Then last year I had them build me the 6.5 Creedmoor to use as my hunting/plinker.

The .308 is getting sent off to PCR again next month to have it rebarreled with a 28 inch 1-10 Heavy Varmint so I can start shooting F/TR matches .

What contour are you planning to go with on the 28 inch barrel?

The concern over Hornady brass is much ado about nothing. I've shot lots of groups in the twos and threes with Hornady 6.5 brass and had good finishes in some very competitive matches. A friend won rookie of the year and finished 11th in the PRS series shooting Hornady brass. The Hornady brass and ammo is good stuff.

Edited by LSnSC

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If you roll your own in 308, you HAVE to try the Berger 185 Juggernaut. Easiest bullet to tune I have shot.

I have a 1000 yard FTR rifle throated for 215 great Berger's.  My backup load is the 185 Juggernaut. It does not seem to care if it is jammed into the lands or a long jump.

I shoot them out of my 700AAC and a Savage as well. 

Try em, you will swear off the old SMK standbys.