Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old and New M&P mags...questions.

BE Fred

Hello,

I have a new M&P Core full size 9mm, gun came with two mags.

Also have an "old" full size 9mm M&P which also hase two mags. The old mags work in new core but do not hold open slide on empty. Is there a way to modify? I do not see a difference but have not busted out the dial calipers...this is likely a common problem with a common fix (I hope).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

Fred

I have an older M&P9 mag with a black follower that occasionally fails to lock the slide back. I don't have that problem with my other mags that have gray followers. Could the solution be as simple as upgrading the follower...or the magazine spring?

Almost definitely a follower issue. Older, weaker springs could cause issues as well. Browsing the S&W/M&P forums should yield some insight as to which follower works best, exactly how to ID it, and where to find more of them.

For my .40 Pro, I collected ab 8-10 mags over the course of a year or so 5-6 for Production (finally legal)/IDPA and 3-4 for Limited. Some polished bodies, some matte. Tube finish hasnt seemed to matter in my gun. What I did notice was that in all the mags, I had two different types of followers; one type had "40" on the top, the other is blank. I found that the ones with "40" on top seemed to work better and allow an extra round in my limited mags with TF extensions. I contacted S&W and told them that I needed 6 of the followers with caliber on them and they sent them to me. Not sure if they can still be had for free. If anyone needs the other style followers, I have a few that I could pass along.

As with most things mag-related, YMMV...

The newer style grey followers work very well in my FS 9mm - They are a bit shorter than the old grey followers. I too had some older blued mags and newer matte finish mags and the newer style follower worked best.