Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HAZMAT question

jaffo

I'm thinking of buying some primers from Gunbroker. (I know they are overpriced.)

Even if the vendor charges me the Hazmat charge, there is no guarantee that the vendor is shipping properly.

Question is, Who is responsible for ensuring that they are shipped properly? I've done several searches on Hazmat shipping and all the info I can find places the emphasis on the shipper.

Thanks for the info.

How do you define "shipping properly"? I suppose if the box is torn open or dunked underwater, that is improper but otherwise I can't really figure out what improper might be. Most real seller/shippers know how to package their product so it isn't damaged under normal shipping & handling.

Edited by mlmiller1

How do you define "shipping properly"? I suppose if the box is torn open or dunked underwater, that is improper but otherwise I can't really figure out what improper might be. Most real seller/shippers know how to package their product so it isn't damaged under normal shipping & handling.

eomebody has to pay the hazmat fee

I would bet the shipper.

I meant if the shipper didn't disclose that it is hazmat and ships without paying/disclosing. I don't want to get in trouble because some "mom and pop" shop wants to skimp on shipping.

I meant if the shipper didn't disclose that it is hazmat and ships without paying/disclosing. I don't want to get in trouble because some "mom and pop" shop wants to skimp on shipping.

Historically, it is on the shipper, not the receiver. But things are changing. The simple thing is to ask the seller to provide you a copy of their Certification for DOT Haz-Mat Transportation. The cert should have their name and this title: 49 CFR 172, 704 (1-4) on it. Primers are NOT ORM-D. The paperwork on the shipping label should have the 1.4 classification for small/large rifle/pistol primers.

In the penalty section, all the penalties are geared towards the employer of the person who improperly ships.

First, compliance is the shipper's responsibility. Second, if he's charging you for the haz-mat fees, then you have a reasonable expectation that he's going to do the paperwork, mark it correctly and ship according to the regulations. It would be a different story if you agreed to ship the stuff in an unmarked box to save a few bucks.

Now I understand what you are asking. If you receive the box & it isn't marked with the 1.4 classification on the shipping label, you will know they are cheating. I suspect the offense is a serious one if THEY are caught doing it. If you pay for haz mat shipping & they don't do it, seems like you are clear of any wrong doing. Good receipts might be important here.