Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lesson of the day: First Multi-gun

tehweej

So the last stage of the day, I finally felt I had some good experience under my belt. I planned how I was going to shoot the stage (which in this case involved all three guns, and slugs for shotgun). I felt good with my plan. Buzzer sounded. Plan went well. Missed more than I was hoping on the long rifle steel, but that is what an "OH @#!$%!) mag is for (same day, different lesson ) Unloaded and cleared. I felt good about my run. Then I realized that the initial plan did not include SIX paper rifle targets.

Lesson learned: Include ALL targets in the plan.

ETA: I just saw the match screw up forum, please move this there... Probably continuation of what I did earlier today in not seeing things as I should...

Edited by tehweej

• 1 month later...

What's even better is when you're being recorded and just to make sure you know what you did your buddy spins the camera around and gives you the "you should know better" finger wag. Ya that was a fun one to review.

Actually the real lesson to be learned is WHY did you not see those 6 targets? You need to go back and look at your stage planning routine and determine what you did that caused you not to see these targets and correct that in your pre shoot routine. Did you fail to count all the targets and compare to the WSB rd count? Did you not visualize enough prior to shooting and forgot about them during the run? Did you double count a target? Etc, etc. telling yourself to count all the targets won't help if you don't know why you didn't count them in the first place .... Developing these good habits now will pay bid dividends in the future ...

What is it they say? "If you're not bleeding, you're not leading...??"

I second the philosophy "you cannot miss fast enough"

Take the advice I got from some guy named Tater Tot...shoot the stage with both eyes open, it makes the targets easier to see

• 2 weeks later...