Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are you classified in every division

DrLove

Before I got crazy about buying six competition rigs, I realized I could swap rigs with another shooter for a match or a season. Much cheaper...

Keep in mind any SS/Prod/Rev rig you own is legal in Open, Lim, and Lim10. A revolver can also go to production. No need for 6 rigs.

Yep you only "NEED" 2 guns to shoot all 6 divisions a revolver and a 1911, the revolver is legal in everything but Single Stack

I know a guy that shot a special classifier matches in open with his production gun just to get classified and he ended up in the shooting himself into the same class he was in production.

Mike

I know a guy that shot a special classifier match in open with his production gun just to get classified and he ended up shooting himself into the same class he was in production.

Was the class "D" by any chance? ; ) I am currently classified in Production & Revolver. I am close in Single Stack and if we have a Special Classifier match this summer like we usually do I may shoot Limited just to get another classification. Like somebody posted above that is the magic of a XDm in .40, you can use the same gun in multiple divisions. I have no interest in Open & Limited 10 but might get classifications in them one day just for grins.

I know a guy that shot a special classifier match in open with his production gun just to get classified and he ended up shooting himself into the same class he was in production.

Was the class "D" by any chance? ; ) I am currently classified in Production & Revolver. I am close in Single Stack and if we have a Special Classifier match this summer like we usually do I may shoot Limited just to get another classification. Like somebody posted above that is the magic of a XDm in .40, you can use the same gun in multiple divisions. I have no interest in Open & Limited 10 but might get classifications in them one day just for grins.

Nope he was a C Production shooter and made C in open with a Glock 34 shooting Minor.

Before I got crazy about buying six competition rigs, I realized I could swap rigs with another shooter for a match or a season. Much cheaper...

Keep in mind any SS/Prod/Rev rig you own is legal in Open, Lim, and Lim10. A revolver can also go to production. No need for 6 rigs.
Yep you only "NEED" 2 guns to shoot all 6 divisions a revolver and a 1911, the revolver is legal in everything but Single StackI know a guy that shot a special classifier matches in open with his production gun just to get classified and he ended up in the shooting himself into the same class he was in production.Mike

Uh, no. Since when is a SS legal in Production?

Yep you only "NEED" 2 guns to shoot all 6 divisions a revolver and a 1911, the revolver is legal in everything but Single StackI know a guy that shot a special classifier matches in open with his production gun just to get classified and he ended up in the shooting himself into the same class he was in production.Mike

Uh, no. Since when is a SS legal in Production?

It's not, but a revolver is.

We don't really need most of the stuff we buy for this sport, but I'm not really interested in shooting Open Minor with my CZ75 and 10 round mags just to get another classification on my card. If I'm going to shoot Open, I want to shoot a competitive Open gun.

What's wrong with talking to the other guys in your club and saying "hey, I've got really nice Limited setup, you've got a really nice Open setup, would you care to swap for a few matches?"

Edited by kneelingatlas

I guess I'm the odd man out, I've only been shooting for a year and a half but I only own one setup and one gun for USPSA, I'm 100% focused on one goal, achieving Master in Production, after that I plan to move to Open and I doubt I'll compete in Production again. All the money I would spend on equipment necessary to compete in other divisions I spend on more ammo .. It's hard enough being even remotely competitive in one div for me, I couldn't see being able to be competitive in more than one div at the same time

I started with a 1911 in L10 and moved to limited with a 2011...

I've shot the 2011 in open and limited... At the match I shot open I even beat all the D open shooters...

For production I bought a carry gun and shot it.. Beretta PX4 storm in .40

Soon I'll have 4 classifications down... ( I only have 1 open classifier)

I have the goal of all 6 by end of 2014.

The 1911, 2011 and the PX4 can shoot in (single stack , limited, open, L10), (limited , open, L10 ) and (L10, limited, open, and production ) respectively.

Granted there are handicaps in lots of those....

With the guns I have I can be classified in everything but revolver...

After nationals, I think I'm going to get single stack done, that leaves only revolver and open left...

Now, wouldn't that just take all the fun out of it??????? :devil:

IMO, which is admittedly unpopular, you would only need one classification. Whatever classification you have, no matter which division, is automatically applied across all divisions.

Eliminates institutionalized sandbagging. You know the guy, he's an 85% shooter in Limited but he's shooting B class in his "off" division....

Edited by BillD

^^^

I believe I still have old classification cards that just say "X" class on them. In '92 I got a new plastic covered card to replace a lost paper one and that one has the class with a " - OPEN" after it. I think that was the first time I saw that.

Also, I thought that if you classify in another division no matter how badly you shoot in that division you will only be one class lower than the division with your highest classification.

^^^

Also, I thought that if you classify in another division no matter how badly you shoot in that division you will only be one class lower than the division with your highest classification.

That is correct and that rule does eliminate some of the issues Bill was talking about but there is still a big difference between, for instance, a low B and a high A

I mostly shoot Limited B but I have a B in SS and C in Open and L10. Guess I should shoot a couple more classifiers in production just for fun. The revolver part would be a bit tough. I would have to shoot my only revolver a S&W 340pd. 5 shots and very slow reloads might get in the way.

I think the rule that keeps you within 1 division is OK but would it be fair for me to go shoot a big match in L10? Then I would be that guy I hate in Limited B that shoots good high A score.

What's the purpose of borrowing a gun to get a classification in a division one doesn't shoot?

What's the point?

Personally I wouldn't be as concerned with the classification as I would be trying out the division before I spent the cash to get into it. My idea isn't so much 'borrowing' but trading: if you've got his rig, why not let him use yours as long as he likes (as long as you're not interested in shooting it)?

In a club with 30 shooters I would bet there's at least 50 complete rigs covering all six divisions, so there should be no reason I shooter has to buy an extra $2K in gear before he knows if he likes shooting any particular division.

Maybe I'm way off base; how many competition pistols do you own? I have three: Production, Limited/L10 and Open and that's not counting the ones which are just legal in the division.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Since I've been doing this since 1978, it's not hard to get a classification in every division.

Got my 1st Master card in the early '90's just before the split to Limited. Got classified in Limited with a S&W M28. Since just kept getting classified each time a new Division started up.

The easiest way is to catch, or help put on, a Special Classifier which is a match where you can have up to 6 Classifiers. Then shoot 2 different Division or more. Only the 1st will count for Score in the Match, but any other Divisions you shoot will still get sent in for Classification purposes.

It would be possible to do them all in 1 day, if the match organizers don't mind. You can use anything in Open, anything with iron sights and no comp in Limited and Limited 10 (just load down for L10). Then a 1911 for Single Stack and a Revolver for Revolver. Production can't be done with a 1911 or STI, but Open/Limited/L10 can be done with a Production gun. Not really as confusing as it sounds.

Just join USPSA and they'll send you a rule book with all the info, and you must be a member to get classified. Also no Division will be less than 1 Class below your highest. So if you get an A card in Production and shoot Open with the same gun, you will get a B card even if you shot D scores.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm classified C in all Divisions. It was a fun goal to achieve. I loved shooting the Revolver to get classified but couldn't see shooting in matches the way I thought I could. Basically, I wanted to shoot them all to see what I wanted to focus on.

I've ended up shooting mostly Production,10 round platform, and SS minor....also 10 rounds. Both are easy on my aging hands but keep me sharp as far as stage planing is concerned. i'm retired and get to shoot a lot so 9mm is easier on the budget as well.

It works for me

you get an A card in Production and shoot Open with the same gun, you will get a B card even if you shot D scores.

Then what was the point?

He would already have a classification in open, if and when he got an open gun he could then shoot a major right away without having to shoot unclassified.

Mike

Edited by Croomrider

What Mike said. I'm working on getting my initial classification in Production. It will be D (and Mike has seen me shoot so he's my witness) without any doubt. When the classification matches start showing up early next year (where local clubs run a match loaded with classifiers), I'll have to make an assessment on what I want to do.

If I think I've improved enough to be a C shooter, I'll take a shot at it. If I know that I'm still wretched, I might just use my Production gun to get a classifier in something like Limited or Limited 10 so that when I do get a proper Limited gun, I'm ready to compete in my class (again, it will be D. Trust me.) for a major competition without having to wait to get enough classifiers in.