Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL is all over the place....

Noximus03

I use a Dillon 550b, and my OAL when loading minor rounds is consistent at 1.150-ish. When I switch to loading for major, I usually load some dummy rounds and measure trying to maintain 1.150-1.155. When I get the press set, and starting loading live rounds, they come out at 1.165-1.185. What am I doing wrong, cause this doesnt make any sense to me.....

MG 124 CMJ

8.1gr 3n37

once fired Fed brass

Steer me in the right direction, guys. Thanks!

Joe

Yes, its compressed, but I dont think the rounds are growing. I loaded up the same recipe last week and let them sit out marked with the initial measurement for a week. Just checked it yesterday and no change. Plus, im taking the measurements immediately after crimping.

Are you perhaps measuring one set with a full shellplate and another with rounds seated turret style? That could be the difference.

and the light might have just went off.......thanks, I'll check that as well.

I say the compressed charge is pushing the bullet back as soon as you start the down stroke. You need to find a powder that won't take up as much room, or find a way to load longer OAL. Will your gun/mags allow you to load longer?

Mike

I don't want to speak for the OP but I'm pretty sure he shoots a Glock so that's the reason for the shorter OAL.

I would try some HS6 or WAC, if you can get them. Do you have any other Major powders to try as a baseline?

Correct, it's a Glock. I can go out to 1.160-1.164 and 'hope' it'll run without binding up in the mags. My KKM is throated, so it'll handle the extra length, no problem....the mags on the other hand....

This is the 1st time I've ever had this issue, and it started just this week. My compressed loads have been holding steady with an SD of .002-.005 "growing" time over the original measurement up prior to this past Tuesday. It just caught me off guard and I didn't know the fix. I just loaded up more rounds taking measurements after using a full plate, and got them all inside my comfort zone. They're in the tumbler now getting the lube off, and I'll measure it again when it's done. Thanks for the help.

Measured out of the tumbler and I had 1 round at 1.161 (intended length 1.155), but everything else was with the range I was going for. Not saying problem solved, but I'm closer than I was an hour ago. Gotta love this board!

Spent quite a bit of time with OAL problems in 9mm minor last summer. Cure was a Lee die set. Really like Lee's first stage sizing die, out standing punch design and it sizes closer to the extractor grove than other brands. Lee's seating die has a small adjustment knob that's easy for fine adjustments. The cure for a few bucks Lee will cut an insert that fits your bullet shape. That tighten things up but I use several bullet designs and weights. Had a local machinist make a flat insert that pushes on just the tip of the bullet. That and making sure I had enough bell solved the OAL problem for me. Loading on Dillon 650.

If your not lubing cases give that a try.

The above post points to one thought I had... what seater insert are you using (round nose/flat nose) and how well does it match the shape of your bullet? That could account for a discrepancy I would think?

I had some trouble getting some of my 9-Major loads down to 1.165 with some of the bulkier powders (3n37, 3n38, N350, etc) when I first started loading. Switching to an EGW U-Die solved those problems. I guess the extra tension on the bullet keeps it from moving after being seated. My back-up major load is 8.9gr 3N37 under a MG 115 JHP. That is a FULL case....no problem getting it down to 1.165.

Excellent info and advice. I'm certainly paying attention.

I had similar issues with my 550B loading 147 gr lead for my Lone Wolf barreled Glocks.

I tightened the taper crimp die a bit and it seemed to help with my reloads.

Good luck.

Desmo412 hit it...your getting set back...take an empty case, seat and crimp bullet with no powder...measure your round..now push round down bullet first against reloading bench... Bet you anything when you measure again, you'll find setback...I had these same problems and worse while using a Dillon sizing die...replaced with LEE U die, problems gone..bullet passes press test with only 2 thous' crimp...

Been there done that with 10Gr of AA#7 in 9mm. I could screw down the seater all day long and they just kept coming out the same size, they were growing between seating and crimping. I cured the problem with a Manson Head space reamer. Yes just used the length they came out.

Save some anguish get some AutoComp, TrueBlue, Silhoutte or other denser powder that will allow you to seat shorter. Back off on the belling a bit, so you don't take all the neck tension off. Stop using lube on the cases.

I tried the U-die thing, hated it, took twice as long to load same ammount of ammo. My standard Dillon dies work well, or my Hornady dies.

+1 on using the correct insert for the bullet type, in fact when I switched from RN to JHP I forgot to flip the insert and started getting rejects in the drop check because it was seating them crooked.

Spent quite a bit of time with OAL problems in 9mm minor last summer. Cure was a Lee die set. Really like Lee's first stage sizing die, out standing punch design and it sizes closer to the extractor grove than other brands. Lee's seating die has a small adjustment knob that's easy for fine adjustments. The cure for a few bucks Lee will cut an insert that fits your bullet shape. That tighten things up but I use several bullet designs and weights. Had a local machinist make a flat insert that pushes on just the tip of the bullet. That and making sure I had enough bell solved the OAL problem for me. Loading on Dillon 650.

If your not lubing cases give that a try.

Per chance would you have the part # for the lee die set ?

I seem to be having same issues.

Made sure I had a full plate and still varies quite a few thousands with 124 grain Extreme plated.

Anywhere from 0.120 to 0.130 give or take.

Even loaded them with out powder and still varies.

Edited by chopps