Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 Tactical Magwell for IDPA gun with stock base pads ?

IHAVEGAS

The magwell looks interesting in pictures and seems like the IDPA stuff you worry about would be aok (fits in box, total gun weight, works with stock everything else on STI Eagle). Have not seen a picture of one on a gun though or found review type comments from anyone who has used one. Any pic's or commentary or suggestions for a preferred alternative would be welcome, cheap people like me hate to just drop the bucks and hope.

I was looking hard at the tactical version of STI's magwells when I bought my Eagle for IPDA. I ended up buying the aluminum regular version and milling .050" of material off each side and bottom to get it to fit the box. You could carefully remove the material yourself with a belt sander if you don't have access to someone with a mill. I ended up buying the aluminum one for just over $45 vs the $+75 for the new tactical one. Plus it won't have the sharp edges that the Tactical version appears to have from the limited pictures I've seen. I'd hate to jam a mag home during a slide lock reload and have the sharp edge hitting against my hand. At least thats what my mind thought was when thinking through its design. Here is how mine turned out for reference after I had it milled down:

IMG_3089_zps9ff86f9d.jpg

I have used a Krebs maxwell in the past. It fits in the box tight. Also seen a STI maxwell that is suppose to be IDPA legal. It had cutouts on the side of the magwell in the event you need to grab the mag. Honestly don't if it fits the box or not

I was looking hard at the tactical version of STI's magwells when I bought my Eagle for IPDA. I ended up buying the aluminum regular version and milling .050" of material off each side and bottom to get it to fit the box. You could carefully remove the material yourself with a belt sander if you don't have access to someone with a mill. I ended up buying the aluminum one for just over $45 vs the $+75 for the new tactical one. Plus it won't have the sharp edges that the Tactical version appears to have from the limited pictures I've seen. I'd hate to jam a mag home during a slide lock reload and have the sharp edge hitting against my hand. At least thats what my mind thought was when thinking through its design. Here is how mine turned out for reference after I had it milled down:

IMG_3089_zps9ff86f9d.jpg

What grip is that?

Sorry, didn't have any stock basepads with me. The pics above are with the 140 basepads. The stock basepads can easily be used with either as the are fractionally longer than the bottom edge of the magwells. I use the 140s almost all the time, but the 126 basepads don't present a problem. I just find the 140s easier when trying to make fast mag changes during a match.

I broke down and bought a tactical, needed something legal quick for the Tennessee regional match this weekend.

I'd pronounce it 'ok I guess' for IDPA purposes. Width is about 1.51 instead as big as could be and still fit the IDPA box (1.625), price seems way too high for what you get, front of magwell could be a lot closer to front edge of magazine opening, side cutouts seem more to reduce the effectiveness of the magwell than to provide a high probability of usefulness, sharp edges do not seem to be a problem on reloads as magazine stock basepads stop you.

If I wanted tactical carry instead of IDPA I'd still think it was overpriced and the front edge should better match the grip, but would like it otherwise.

I think the way to go for the IDPA game with the magwells I've seen is to copy cat lksyotas magwell shown above, which is what I will likely do after making sure that the IDPA box size doesn't change to match IPSC when the rules are revised this year.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2013 at 8:45 AM, lksyotas said:

IMG_3089_zps9ff86f9d.jpg

How did you recoat after milling/sanding? I am thinking of doing the same for carry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping this.

Pistol Gear makes an IDPA compliant magwell but it doesnt appear to be compatible with the taran plates which id prefer to use.

Has anyone else found anyone making an IDPA compliant magwell?