Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different loads for distance and close range

naim

I am trying to get more serious with three gun (or multi gun if mark is out there) so I have started reloading .223. With long range I'm using 68gr hornadys with 24 gr of ramshot tac and with short range whatever cheap 55gr I can find. My question is this does the trajectory of the bullet change substantially if I used the same 24gr of tac behind both the 68gr and the 55gr. Or would I be better to develop a specific load to each. I'm trying to get out of this reloading thing as easy as possible. Hence two bullets one powder charge.

What is it patten said a good plan today rather than a perfect plan later. That was my strategey but then the Democrats foiled it, there are no cheap bullets, my current plan is to shoot what ever I can get. At $6.00 a box I was shooting PMC Bronze a short range and SMK 69gr for those long shots in the 50mph wind gusts. I did take the time to get the load near perfect so it grouped well and carried my ballistics print out of both rounds after running them over the crono. That plan will work, when you find cheap 55gr let me know.

I am trying to get more serious with three gun (or multi gun if mark is out there) so I have started reloading .223. With long range I'm using 68gr hornadys with 24 gr of ramshot tac and with short range whatever cheap 55gr I can find. My question is this does the trajectory of the bullet change substantially if I used the same 24gr of tac behind both the 68gr and the 55gr. Or would I be better to develop a specific load to each. I'm trying to get out of this reloading thing as easy as possible. Hence two bullets one powder charge.

You will most likely need a specific load for each. Each weight and type of bullet will most likely need a different load to get the best accuracy out of each.

In an 18" barrel in .223 Wylde, you will likely be around 2800 with that 68 grain load and about 2930 with the 55 grain load. You can tune the 68 and not worry much about the 55. Just make sure the 55 runs your gun...and flat..., especially if you have adjustable gas, in all conditions. If you need an "accurate" short range shot, shoot the 68s. 75% (or more) of the rifle shots in 3Gun don't need anything more than about 8 MOA or so. Shoot cheap and easy when you can and the good load when you need it. Realize there are going to be stages where mixing ammo may bite you in the butt, so be prepared to shoot say half the stages with the good stuff at every match. I zero at 100 meters and the difference from muzzle to 200 yards with those loads will be under an inch.

My "good" load runs about .31/round whereas my 55 load is about .16/round. I shoot on average about 150 of the 55s and about 50 of the good load per major. So for no diminishment in scores, I can save about $23. Shooting one match, I would not worry about it.

Edited by MarkCO

Personally I would zero with the 68gr load and then load test your 55gr loads at 100yds with that zero. Whichever load comes the closest to your 68gr zero, thats what I would use. Under 100yds, looking for MOA loads is kinda futile for blaster ammo