Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack mag question.

Lights

OK so I am moving from production class to SS. In production I can make ready with 11 rounds in the gun. I totally understood that from my first match. Now that I am going to shoot SS with a 45. I have a question. the standard 1911 mags only hold 8 rounds in a 45cal. But I can make ready with 9 in the gun. Do you SS shooters use a 10 round mag with 9 rounds in it. Or do you drop 1 round in the chamber and use your standard 8 round mags when you make ready?

Thank you,

Mark

Pull barney mag out of rear pocket. Load one round. Place barney mag back in rear pocket. Grab rearmost mag out of pouch and insert into gun. If you are typical to most SS shooters you will have 6 pouches so the rearmost will be the hardest to grab at speed. 6 x 8 + 1 = 49 so your stage is toast if you need all 49 rounds.

I'd run 7 pouches. At Make Ready, grab the #6 mag, load it, rack it, pop the mag out and back in the carrier, and insert mag #7 into the gun. 9 in the gun to start, another 47 on the belt, nothing in pockets to be sat on, or accidentally retrieved....

Reloading plan, If your feet are moving you should be reloading. It is just not rocket science, figuring out where to load on a 32 round stage with a 29 round big stick that's complicated. :devil:

I do the barney in back pocket thing for SS, and 6 on the belt plus a few extra in the back pocket shot 56 rd on a stage once. All steel 32 round with multiple stars polish plate rack etc all at 20 yards or better an open GM shot 48 so I didn't feel that bad.

OK so I am moving from production class to SS. In production I can make ready with 11 rounds in the gun. I totally understood that from my first match. Now that I am going to shoot SS with a 45. I have a question. the standard 1911 mags only hold 8 rounds in a 45cal. But I can make ready with 9 in the gun. Do you SS shooters use a 10 round mag with 9 rounds in it. Or do you drop 1 round in the chamber and use your standard 8 round mags when you make ready?

Thank you,

Mark

What caliber are you going to shoot? Major caliber guns can only be loaded with 8 in the mag, even a .40. With the exception of 9MM or 38 Super guns, no 10 round magazine will fit the box, in fact, extended pads may require modification to fit the box. My Wilson mags have to have the extended pads cut at an angle to be legal.

Thank you,

Mark

What caliber are you going to shoot? Major caliber guns can only be loaded with 8 in the mag, even a .40. With the exception of 9MM or 38 Super guns, no 10 round magazine will fit the box, in fact, extended pads may require modification to fit the box. My Wilson mags have to have the extended pads cut at an angle to be legal.

I know of a couple of people who can get 10 rounds of .40 in their mags and still fit in the box. I can easily get 9 in my .40 mags so I don't have to mess around with a barney mag.

OP said he was going to shoot a .45