Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Screwed...

Foxbat

For about 8 weeks I have been having growing pain in my right shoulder, that kept gradually increasing. I suspect loading many thousands of rounds contributed to it. However, I could still shoot normally... all the way till this Saturday.

Right in the first stage I got strong stabbing pain in the shoulder. I figured I am a tough man, so I swallowed 4 Advils, and kept going. Towards the match's end I was raising my gun and my right arm using my left one, grunting from pain. As I made it home, my right arm just hung there, totally unusable - all I could do was move it about ten degrees from the vertical.

Now I am facing who knows how many weeks of rehabilitation - just started the therapy yesterday... if that does not help then the cortisone injection. The joint movement is free, so it is not arthritis, but as soon as you try to use the muscle there is sharp pain - I guess that suggests the tendonitis?

Any advice? Personal experiences? Just co-miseration? :) What's the expected down time?

PS: I already learned to run my 1050 using left arm - turns out it is not all that hard! :)

Edited by Foxbat

Sorry to hear that buddy. When you say shoulder, what area? The upper deltoid region? You need to see an Orthopedic Surgeon since it sounds like bursitis or possibly a cuff tear. I've had both and it's not fun. If it's bursitis, depending on the degree, you should be able to get the shots, NSAIDs and PT then usually within 8 weeks, should be on the home stretch. If it's a cuff tear, again, depending on the severity, that could take 1-6 months and possibly surgery.

Sounds like a Rotator problem to me (I have had both shoulders done). Need an Ortho or at least an MRI done.

Can you reach around and put your right hand in your back pocket without pain?

Well that's it I'm not buy a 1050 I'll just stick with my 650, and if it is the blue that is causing this I'll go red and jump on the Hornady LNL, been loading thousands of rounds of .223 on it lately.

Just pullin your leg its ok right? Hope it turns out ok, and best of luck. Reminds me of when at the young age of 52 I had to quit playing adult soccer on defense, since I was known as the best goalie trainer they stuck me in the goal, wasn't long till I blocked mr bads 85 mph ball, after which I couldn't raise a cup of coffee up to drink it for 6 months, had to slurp it like a dog. So I know your pain. I oded on Motrin daily, but I survived, quit playing soccer and started shooting.

I can... with small amount of pain.

When I went through both of my rotator surgeries, they kept asking me to do that. From what I understand it helped rule out problems with 'some' of the tendons that make up the rotator cuff.

I am NOT a Doctor, and didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but your symptoms sound very similar to mine which ended up with surgery (in both shoulders).

It sounds like you are already seeing a PT which is good.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you recover with just the therapy!

I am 4 months post op from shoulder surgery. I had tears in the labrum, rotator cuff, and bursitis cleaned up. I was getting cort. injections every 6 months, they would last about 4, and I would suffer the next 2 until I could get another shot. First of the year, I told the surgeon to do it. I was off work for 10 weeks. He wanted me off for 12-16. If I had a desk job, I could have gone back in 4-6. You won't know what is really wrong without an MRI. Some insurances will want you to PT it first cause it's cheaper, but you are probably wasting time.

Shoulders take forever. Much better to break a leg. I had mine done in the winter so as not to have shooting down time this summer. Wish you the best, and keep us updated.

Sounds strange, but go to a chiropractors. Sounds as if a tendon has slipped out of where its supposed to be and is riding up on top of the muscles. I've had this happen a few times, and it sounds like the exact same pain and movement issues. I suffered with it the first time for 2 months, then went to the chiropractor for a back issue, he asked what was wrong with my arm, and he did something and it didn't hurt anymore. Now, I go as soon as I feel the twinge, and they fix it.

Try it, if it works, woohoo! If it doesn't, well at least your back will in good shape.

Had the same problem. Went to the Ortho's 1st thinking I blew my arm out somehow. They sent me to a Chiro who totally tork'ed my arms in directions I didnt know it could move. Turned out I had a mild separation, and stress on my labrum and one muscle in my scapula. After about 3 weeks of therapy, and 3 more weeks of therapy and time in an immobilizer sling, I was good to go. Havent had a problem since.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the results are in - completely torn supraspinatus tendon, separated from the bone and pulled back, needs to be nailed.

With the surgery next month, then promised 4-5 months recovery - end of season...

I am so pissed...

A question - what is the best way of preventing such injuries in the future? Stretching exercises? Anything else?

I just had the same issue, different tendon, but same area. Strengthen the entire shoulder for prevention. You will get good PT excercises during rehab and you may want to get some professional training to work on your core muscles as well as the upper torso. Good luck, you will be back on the line in no time.

When you get to therapy after your surgery, the PT can give you exercises that will keep the shoulder firm, strong and flexible - all limited, of course, by the ravages of wear and age.

Well, the results are in - completely torn supraspinatus tendon, separated from the bone and pulled back, needs to be nailed.

With the surgery next month, then promised 4-5 months recovery - end of season...

I am so pissed...

A question - what is the best way of preventing such injuries in the future? Stretching exercises? Anything else?

That sucks Fox, good luck!!!

That sucks! I have the right shoulder done twice and the left once.

Good Luck!

Man, that's a lot of surgeries! How long it took you to return to sport in each case? Was the second right shoulder problem the result of not letting it heal fully?

I just found out that the pain in my hands is due to carpal tunnel syndrome. Tried cortizone injections no help at all. Only way to correct is with surgery. While this is nothing compared to your problems does anybody know what the recovery period is on this type of surgery?

I just found out that the pain in my hands is due to carpal tunnel syndrome. Tried cortizone injections no help at all. Only way to correct is with surgery. While this is nothing compared to your problems does anybody know what the recovery period is on this type of surgery?

6 weeks to be off restriction by my doc, at that point I was slightly stronger than before surgery. I did both wrists, strong side 1 Nov 12, weak side 15 Dec 12. The surgery is pretty simple and I was knocking myself for waiting for so long because it was so simple and quick to recover from.

jj

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the update, the main reason is to warn you guys - so you would not repeat my silly experience.

Long story short - had a surgery done last week, and going through a painful recovery now.

The doctor says there was a pre-existing tear already, prior to the main event, and plenty of inflammation. Clearly, the pain that I was experiencing prior to the final rupture, was indicative of a serious problem. If caught back then, a conservative treatment with good recovery was possible.

As it was, the tendon had more than one tear and it was damaged badly, frayed and swollen. Meaning - the doc cringed when I asked him about chances of full recovery. He also mentioned my age... as if I didn't know 63 was not 36.

Bottom line, guys... treat any pain in your shooting arms as serious matter, because the continued stress on the inflamed tissue is a recipe for serious problems.