Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can Wind screw up your chrony ?

Was out checking some loads and everything went well for the first hour, but then the wind started blowing (I mean really blowing - estimate 30mph), and all of a sudden the chrony was really erratic. Shooting the same ammo, ie: .223 it would report 2858, next shot would be 1410, next shot would be 2450, next shot 1120, etc etc. Sometimes it would record multiple shots at less than half of the targeted FPS while other times it would be pretty accurate. Can severe wind cause this problem ?

The chrony is a standard chrony, no whisle and bells, mounted on my video tripod. It was flexing a bit during the winds.

• 2 months later...

I've never seen the wind effect a chrono. Since the skyscreens sense the shadow of the passing bullet... The only thing I can think - maybe there was some debris blowing around that was causing false readings.

I have often wondered this myself , especially since the SS/Revo Nationals this year. There were lots of readings that seemed to be off a little. I know that the skyscreens are in a box, but we had wind gust 30 plus blowing directly into the end of the box. My readings were dead on with SC Sectional and home range chrono readings. It was taken as the wind subsided. My shooting partner did not far so well , he went sub minior (ouch). But, was 132 PF at SC Sectional and at home range. His readings were durning extreme wind gust blowing directly in to the box. I just wonder if the skyscreens are shaking or moving a lot if this would affect the readings??

Or I guess it could have been some other factor over looked.

• 2 months later...