Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about Changing Scopes

JediTodd

So I'm considering changing scopes on my 3-gun rifle. I've been running a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 for about 6 months now and I'm thinking about downgrading to a Burris MTAC/TAC-30. The reasoning is the simplified reticle. It seems like I'm having to do a lot more "thinking" on close in targets than I really need to using this scope and the simpler reticle in the Burris seems like it would be easier for target acquisition. Specifically, remembering to raise my sites for close up targets and also for acquiring long distance targets. Has anyone used both and could give me an opinion? Am I being silly by trading in a higher priced scope?

I haven't shot the Viper, I do have an MTAC, I like the reticle in it. I can say however the aim point still need to be adjusted for close work (head shots specifically), I use the 200 yd dot at the top of the head for A-zone hits out to about 15 yards. (Scope zeroed at 100 yds.)

When I went to a simpler reticle, my scores improved. I don't think it would be silly at all to go to an MTAC or Tac30 if the features will allow you to shoot instead of think.

There has got to be someone close to you that has a MTAC/Tac30 who would let you shoot it a bit and compare.

I have, and enjoy, a Tac30. The only think I would change is how fat the reticle is. I think I could be just as effective if the outside ring were not as thick and the hold over dots were a few minutes smaller. On the other hand, it is very simple and fast to use. I handled every scope I could get my hands on at the NRA show this weekend and am very satisfied with my $300 jewel. Only one I would trade it for (may sound like a no brainier) is the Z6 for playing games. If I wanted to shoot bench groups all day I wouldn't have a 1x scope anyway.

I have a TAC30, Swaro Z6i BRT and a Pride Fowler 1-4. I have shot the Swaro for the last 4 years in competition and I really like the single center illuminated dot. I picked up the PF from a prize table and it is an interesting scope, but I'm not really sure a first focal plane low power scope is something most people would want. I bought the TAC30 because I wanted an inexpensive scope for a beater AR. The scope is fairly nice, but the push button illumination switch would not work properly till I "adjusted" the contacts. It works now but it should have been right from the factory. The giant red donut is very distracting to me. My first Swaro Z6i had the circle dot reticle and that donut was not as distracting because it was pretty thin but donut on the Burris is very thick and looks huge when you look through the scope. I think that the scope is easier for me to use with the illumination turned off because the donut is not as visible as when it is illuminated..

I could live with the TAC30 if it was my only scope, but since I have 2 better choices I don't have to. I would suggest that you find someone near by that has a TAC30 or MTAC before you buy.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I have the PST 1-4 and close up I simply crank in the needed elevation so its back to poi=poa. Have the external, uncovered knobs so its easy. I assume you have the same scope as the covered knobs are on the HS model,

Unless the near and far targets are in the same stage, why not simply adjust the elevation between stages? Has a decent return to zero capability.

Mark

So I'm considering changing scopes on my 3-gun rifle. I've been running a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 for about 6 months now and I'm thinking about downgrading to a Burris MTAC/TAC-30. The reasoning is the simplified reticle. It seems like I'm having to do a lot more "thinking" on close in targets than I really need to using this scope and the simpler reticle in the Burris seems like it would be easier for target acquisition. Specifically, remembering to raise my sites for close up targets and also for acquiring long distance targets. Has anyone used both and could give me an opinion? Am I being silly by trading in a higher priced scope?

I wouldn't. Both are good scopes get used to the Vortex and save your money up and get a 1-6 Vortex. You will lose money on the swap you want to do and you will not really be gaining anything. Not sure why you have having to think on close targets. Its the same with any scope on close targets (10 yards and in) you have to hold 2.5 inches high. That is a function of bore off set not of the scope.

Pat