Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG 124gr JHP WSF load question

rtp

It's a bit funny in that when I started gathering components for reloading, the thought of buying cases of projectiles was pretty far from my mind...but now my wife is also shooting a bit, counting up how much we burn through each session, and of course, component availability, I've joined the 'case club' and picked up a case of MG 124gr JHP. I know lots of you guys buy multiple cases, but I'm not a competition shooter - just someone who enjoys shooting, wants to improve, and start doing some IDPA.

The gun is an EDC Glock 19 w/connector + 6# trigger spring, all else OE.

Using WSF as I've got 9# of it or so, and not looking to change powders anytime soon.

WSF doesn't have the most load data out there, with any of it from Winchester being somewhat questionable and not updated, at least with respect to newer projectiles and OAL.

I understand MG JHPs have a similar profile to Hornady XTP, and it seems that with some digging, the strongest recommendations I've found point to an OAL of ~ 1.08, which seems somewhat short but MG has been quoted to say as much, and the XTP shows what I assume is a min (or tested) OAL of 1.06" - I don't have a Hornady reloading manual, but have a Loadbook USA, Lymans, Hogden annual, etc.

Examining the relatively lacking WSF data I have, and allowing for the shorter OAL I've got a range of maybe 4.7-5.3gr of WSF.

Order of importance are making IDPA PF of 125 and accuracy.

Maybe someone can explain why the JHPs (have seen the same mentioned for Nosler 115gr JHPs) are seemingly so much shorter OAL vs the 1.10-1.12 'standard.' If anything, the JHPs are longer than the FMJs, so sit back more into the case, which would seem to increase pressure...while most JHP recipes also use more powder than a similar JHP. ?

Am I missing something, or can anyone offer some advice or clarification here?

Otherwise, I'll make a few batches of 10, in 4.7gr, 4.9gr, 5.1gr, at OALs of 1.08, 1.10, and 1.12 and see what's to be seen.

if you have or can borrow a chrono, use it. its the only way to be sure how how fast it goes and if it make PF. the reason most JHP need to be loaded shorter is the ogive. JHP remain straight further towards the tip, while most FMJ start getting pointy further down.

To determine what works in your guns, make some dummy rounds and shorten them till they drop in and out of your chamber freely. shorten it a little more for insurance and then use that OAL.

I've got a Pro-Chrono, and will chrono all test loads.

OAL isn't too much of a concern on my OE Glock barrel - magazine and barrel can go up to SAAMI max of 1.169 (have verified, although with FMJ-RN).

Comparing a MG 124gr JHP to a Hornady 115gr FMJ-RN, the MG is ~.02 longer, with the flat bearing surface as the ogive starts being slightly longer. The ogive of the MG is basically a straight angle versus some HP and all RN with more curvature. Looking at this, it seems like the MG can use the same OAL as the 115 gr FMJ, while allowing for the decreased case volume so reducing the charge.

This means in short - it seems like I'd be able to load the MGs anywhere up to 1.169" OAL (pending barrel test), and I have two conflicting statements - BE has said (maybe in his vid, or on here) to basically load the longest OAL your gun will allow (- a bit for safety), while I've seen many saying to load both the MG and Nosler JHPs seemingly quite a bit below that. ?

PS - none of the above is to be argumentative, just trying to understand what are seemingly different statements, and if the longest OAL for your gun is generally more accurate or not.

Edited by rtp

There are two things to consider on Max OAL. One is the chamber of your barrel, and the other is what your magazines will accept. Use which ever one is shortest minus maybe .010 and start with that. Once you start testing loads you can then verify that your pistol will actually feed them reliably. With all of that considered, yes, I would load as long as you can and don't worry that the loading manuals may list a shorter OAL. You should not have any problem making your desired power factor with WSF and staying at a very reasonable pressure. Let the fun begin!

Mike

Thanks, all. Still wondering why it seems so many are loading these up at such short OALs, but will make up some dummy rounds and ensure no cycling issues, then jump into test loads and chrono..

So, my OE Glock 19C barrel with the MGs using the 'CZ method' everyone links to (fired case, bump a new projectile in, then push into barrel, check length for max OAL) is pretty much SAAMI max or higher. I'm likely picking up a KKM to swap in for IDPA in the future (no OE ported barrels allowed), and will test with that barrel as well, but this continues to mystify me on a few comments where people were claiming SAAMI max won't chamber in a Glock; it does easily in mine, including for 124gr MG JHPs..

Having said that, wound up doing a class a few hours long with my wife, so loaded up a handful of loads on the lower side for my ammo.

I planned on shooting a few and then reverting to my 115gr loads if anything felt off, but I've got to say, 4.9gr of WSF @ 1.125 and 1.10 felt pretty good and were reasonably accurate considering much was single/double shot drills vs bullseye shooting. The gun 'feels' better shooting than prior loads of 5.1-5.3gr WSF w/Hornady 115gr FMJ@1.15...hard to quantify until next outing w/Chrono and different targets, but it feels good and cycles reliably w/OE springs.

Will update next outing w/chrono.

I've used the MG 124 JHP in G26, G19, G17, and G34 pistols as well as other pistols from Dan Wesson, STI, and Springfield. I have experimented with COAL's ranging from 1.100 to 1.160 and found that 1.140 works in all the pistols with good accuracy. Can't help with powder question, though, as I've not used WSF.