Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammerfall

Alvin1911

I just want to share my experienced on my first Level 3 match, I finished 2/3 stages on the first day of the match without having problem with my gun, and then on the last day of the match (first stage) I had a hammer fall, but the Rang officer didn't noticed anything. And then i moved to the next stage, suddenly hammer fall strikes again, this time the Range Officer stopped me and he DQ'ed my gun (Luckily he only DQ my gun and not me :-). A friend of mine borrowed me his back up gun (same spec as mine), but my ammo did not work on his gun. so i gave up on the last 4 stages. The only reason causing the hammer fall is the small screw on the trigger, I had a very tight overtravel on the trigger, it was like 0.5mm. First thing i though that the hammer causing the problem, but it wasn't.! Everything was my fault, I messed up with that screw a week before the match without knowing what i was doing. Lesson learned. Alvin

I know virtually nothing about 1911s, but I'm learning as much as I can since I want to do USPSA Single Stack as my next division after Production. So, yes, this is a dumb question, but consider the source....What is hammer fall?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I had a hammer follow from a broken sear on a reload from slide lock one time.

Run the gun dry slapped in the mag dropped the slide and sent on over the berm. Luckily it was only one round and not the whole mag

I was sure I didn't have my finger on the trigger as I always Index it on the slide stop pin end

Went to the safe area did post trigger job checks and the hammer didn't even pass the depressed trigger slide drop without failing

• 2 weeks later...

Hammer follow scares the crap out of me. Nothing worse than a mag dump with no way to stop it. I haven't experienced one on any of my pistols, though I have experienced it on an AR - pulled the trigger once and it went bang twice. Not a good feeling outside of the military when you know you aren't using a select-fire gun.

Glad to hear OP was practicing good gun handling and they were all headed in the right direction. I do see too many folks getting careless with gun handling while holstering, reloading, etc. at many of the matches I've attended. It's too easy to get complacent.

I watched a very experienced 3gun shooter drop the bolt to load his AR and it slam fired one into the mud about 6' downrange. The AR was on 'safe' and his finger was not in the trigger guard. He never moved the rifle, just turned his head, looked at the RO, and said look at the safety. Don't think an AR won't fire just because it's 'on safe'. It pays to point it at the berm.

The safety on an AR just prevents the trigger from activating the sear. Slam fires in ARs, M1As and other military style rifles without firing pin return springs can slamfire without any sear or hammer movement. I've often wondered if I should put a spring of some variety in my ARs just to be safe.