Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would this contraption be allowed in ipsc?

KyalSharpe

Would it be legal to have a chair that is attached to a zip line with a rope next to the chair so you could pull your self forward/backwards. Then engage targets will moving through the course on the chair? Sorry if didn't explain it very well

Yes.

Might get an argument from some folks asking whether you are testing shooting ability or ability to pull yourself with a rope.

Chair and zipline would have to be pretty stable for safety reasons.

Yes.

Might get an argument from some folks asking whether you are testing shooting ability or ability to pull yourself with a rope.

Okay thanks. i will post results if i follow through with it. thankyou

Yes.

But is it really that different from testing the ability to run fast, like some other stages do.

I would think of physical abilities being different. We also have right handed vs left handed shooters so you would have to try and make the pull rope equally accessible to either hand. There is also the chance that at least one shooter will have a physical disability that prevents them form using one arm or the other. Would the chair actually be supported by the zip line, or would it be on the ground on wheels? The former would require much greater physical strength. It will never be completely equitable, but you should do your best to make it a challenge that does not require a test of strength to complete.

Maybe have the chair guided by the zip line but require the shooter to use their feet to propel the chair either forward or backward.

My concerns would be two-fold -- construction in such a matter that it equitably presents the challenge to shooters of various sizes, weights, handedness, and ability and safety -- i.e. ensuring that the apparatus doesn't encourage or facilitate sweeping oneself.

My concerns would be two-fold -- construction in such a matter that it equitably presents the challenge to shooters of various sizes, weights, handedness, and ability and safety -- i.e. ensuring that the apparatus doesn't encourage or facilitate sweeping oneself.

And not built high enough that my melon would be over the berm.....

Equity will be an issue because some won't have the strength to do it, for one. I realize some shooters move faster than others but that's not the same as this. If I can't run fast then I run slower, or even walk. If I have an issue with a gimmick like this then I have to take special penalties etc. That's a lot to deal with in a local match in my opinion.

It might work if you came up with a way to move the contraption some other way but then it must move exactly the same for every shooter