Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having trouble making major with VV N320

BDD

Just curious what everyone is using for loads with VV N320? I have a sti edge and this is my current recipe and results.

Bullet: 180 grn MG CMJ

OAL: 1.190"

Powder: N320

Load: 5.2 grn

Results (10 rds, fps)

I know most of these make major, but it is so close. Would there be problems if I increased the powder level to 5.3 grn? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Just bump it up until you get the velocity you need. If your barrel is not getting the velocity, it is most likely not making the pressure either. Are you getting any signs of excess pressure?

Mike

I would jump up to 5.3gr of powder, but make my length 1.200". Try that and see what it gets you. I have been doing testing with Rainier 180s and with N320, I always get 1 thats way low as well.

I run MG 180 JHP at 1.120 (max length that will feed reliably) out of my CZ 75. Note that the JHPs require a far shorter COL than the FMJ/CMJ due the ogive.

4.6 N320 - 167 PF

4.8 N320 - 172

5.0 N320 - 177

5.1 N320 - 178

5.2 N320 - 182

Not sure why they're running slower in your STI.

Hope this helps!

Edited by WillC

Do you have to load at 1.190? I would try loading shorter to 1.180/1.170 to bump up the pressure a little to get the velocity up. also have to see if it will feed reliably of course. When I shot an Edge I used MG 180 jhps and N320. 5.2 grains of N320 at 1.180 oal got me 179+ pf at my first major. 5.2 grains of N320 is a lot with a 180

Do you have to load at 1.190? I would try loading shorter to 1.180/1.170 to bump up the pressure a little to get the velocity up. also have to see if it will feed reliably of course. When I shot an Edge I used MG 180 jhps and N320. 5.2 grains of N320 at 1.180 oal got me 179+ pf at my first major. 5.2 grains of N320 is a lot with a 180

I tried a OAL of 1.180, but it didn't always like to feed. I was using 1.20 until I saw the velocities with 4.8 gns.

I tried a OAL of 1.180, but it didn't always like to feed. I was using 1.20 until I saw the velocities with 4.8 gns.

Having feeding issues at 1.180 seems strange.

In my limited experience a STI usually does not have issues with loading at 1.18.

My SV will not feed factory as most STI guns will feed factory. I load at 1.18.

The longer the OAL the more juice.

So I chrono'd again this past weekend. 5.4 grn of n320 = 170 pf in my edge. My buddy also fired 5 of my rounds out of his edge, and averaged a pf of 177.

My gun has less then 500 rnds through it, so I am not sure if I should think about getting a new barrel or wait and see if this one will break in or something. Thoughts/experiences?

My gun has less then 500 rnds through it, so I am not sure if I should think about getting a new barrel or wait and see if this one will break in or something. Thoughts/experiences?

What are you waiting for it to do? You have a load that makes PF, does it shoot good? Why would you be considering replacing the barrel?

Mike

What are you waiting for it to do? You have a load that makes PF, does it shoot good? Why would you be considering replacing the barrel?Mike

Oh sorry, at 5.4 grn (170 pf) the primers are showing signs of high pressures (primers are flattening) which makes me nervous.

wow, 5.4 grains of N320, 1.180 oal and a 165 grain jhp gets me 170.8 pf with my 6"; 5.4 grains with a 180 grain bullet must be a handful. I recall my old 180 grain MG loads with 5.2 grains of N320 as being unpleasant, just like shooting factory stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a easy cure for the problem, change to Precison Moly 185gr or Bayou 180gr bulltet. My Edge hit 170 pf with 4.4 gr of N320 with the Precision. Montan gold bullets are minimal diameter, Zeros are +.005 larger, but the Precison or Bayou is + .010 so it wil seal up your barrel better.

I prefer these bullets in a limited gun.

On the flat primers, that is a sign it is high pressure, and if you are not where you need to be then if you stick with the same bullets you need to go to a slower powder like WSF, IM7625, etc to reduce pressure. You didn't say which primer, Federal flatten out fairly quickly, no there is flat and then real flat, when the corners start coming off that isn't bad but when they go super flat well I'd worry a bit. I shoot 9 major and almost every load will take the edges down but not to the point where it is totally flat. If CCI's are flat oops.

I'm a little more careful with 40 than 9 mm since I have blow the tops off some and split a few 40's. Nothing happened it just ruined the stage.

So I chrono'd again this past weekend. 5.4 grn of n320 = 170 pf in my edge. My buddy also fired 5 of my rounds out of his edge, and averaged a pf of 177.

You only have less than 500 rounds through it... i say... you need to shoot more :goof: ...shows us a pic of the flattened primer case...