Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rig question for IDPA ESR

cbmax

Hi,

I just received my holster for my S&W 625 4 inch and two North Mountain IDPA legal double moon clip holders.

I read the rules and the way I understand it, I can have both moon clip holders forward of the holster assuming they are no more than one inch apart. I would have four moon clips when called up to the liine and three at the start signal (on my belt).

Is my interpretation of the rules correct?

CB

Okay but can I position both of my double moon clip holders forward of my holster? I know I would have 4 moon clips when I step into the "box", but I'd have 3 on my belt after load and make ready.

CB

Nope, if you want to use two of the North Mountain Moon "double" moon clip holders, with more than one moon clip in either holder, the way to do it would be one "double" moon clip holder in front of the holster (charged with two moon clips), and one "double" behind the holster or behind the hip bone weak side (charged with only one moon clip after LAMR), because, per the current rule book:

Two full speedloaders/moon clips may be worn directly in front of the holster and they must be positioned as close to the holster as possible. One additional may be worn behind the centerline on either the right or left side for a total of three speedloaders/full moon clips on the belt.

proposed rule book says the same thing:

Two speed loaders/moon clips may be worn directly in front of the holster. The speed loaders/moon clips worn in front of the holster must be within 1” of each other, and the speed loader/moon clip nearest the holster must be within 1” of the holster. The shooter may wear additional speed loaders/moon clips behind the hipbone on the weak side or behind the holster.

I used to go with a double North Mountain in front of the holster (charged with two moon clips) and one behind the holster (charged with only one moon clip), then decided that just keeping the third moon clip in my strong side vest pocket was probably a better option for me. That moon clip holder behind the holster was getting in the way when getting out of a chair, rolling on my side, etc.

Edited by johnmac

Interesting this topic comes up. I shot a match with John a couple of weeks ago and an ESR shooter there had both NM carriers in front of his holster. I called him out on it (just poking fun) and he said it was cool because the book says "two carriers". I knew that wasn't right, but didn't care enough to show him otherwise. As John pointed out- one NM carrier with 2 clips in front of holster, one NM carrier with 1 clip behind the holster and you'll be good to go.

Glad to see another ESR shooter has entered the fold!

Hey,

Thanks for the information. I think I like the idea of keeping my third moon clip in my strong side vest pocket. I will try both of the suggested ways. Need to practice for a couple months before competing in a match.

Thanks again,

CB

You can not have 3 moonclips in front of the holster no matter the number of "carriers". This is a clip from the old rulebook. The new proposed rulebook has the similar language.

Two full speedloaders/moon clips may be worn directly in

front of the holster

• 2 months later...

I put 2 speedloaders on my left hip. Holster is on my right. I reload with my weak hand. The rule book states that you MAY carry loaders in front of your holster, not that you must. I've always done it this way and never had an issue at any match. I carry the 3rd holder on my left side behind the hipbone. Pete

I keep my moonclip holders on my left hip and both my spare and start moonclip in my left pants pocket. when I do a tac reload I swap the partial with the full moon in my pocket. no stopping between my pocket and the cylinder at the moonclip holder. I carry a total of 4 moons on me.

I wear two North Mountain carriers on my left hip and holster on my right. I use a weak hand reload so the left is more convenient, plus I am so used to reaching for magazines over there. No sense trying to learn two different equipment positions. I carry 4 in the holders and use one for LAMR, but have caught myself cheating already. I am used to grabbing my LAMR out of my vest so I dump one in there when gearing up and load my carriers full as well. I've shot several stages carrying too much ammo, but never went beyond a second reload so it didn't affect anything. But it takes mental awareness to make sure I am only carrying the correct amount of ammo.

I use a weak hand reload with two speedloaders on my left hip. I have put a third in my vest pocket but when going prone had it fall out which could get me a procedural. I am looking for a third holder.

A fellow revolver shooter pointed out to me another reason to keep #3 in the vest pocket. In the rare time that you may do a tac load ( and it does happen), you dump the unfired rounds in the same pocket you have your reload. Saves an extra movement.

A fellow revolver shooter pointed out to me another reason to keep #3 in the vest pocket. In the rare time that you may do a tac load ( and it does happen), you dump the unfired rounds in the same pocket you have your reload. Saves an extra movement.

That's what I do, the only problem I've run into is on stages where cover is optional and you need 18 rounds. I don't want to risk running out of ammo so I just where my vest anyway. I had to do this twice at the last sanctioned match I went to.

Granted with the new rules I may never do another tac load again anyway. #3 may be moving back to my belt

Edited by Racinready300ex