Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Independence Day Action Rifle Match - July 4th 2013 - Mesa AZ

The Independence Day Action Rifle Match is being hosted by Rio Salado Sportsman's Club again in 2013. This, the 8th annual match, will be held on Thursday July 4th 2013, with registration opening at 6:30am and first rounds downrange at 7am sharp. Shooters will be divided into squads, so we expect to be finished in a timely manner - probably by 1pm or so.

The match will consist of 5 challenging run-n-gun rifle-only stages, with targets ranging from 1 yard to over 300 yards. After the match, prizes will be distributed by random draw. For newer shooters (including many new AR15 owners), this match will be a great opportunity to dip their toes in the 3-Gun waters. Most military-style semi-auto centerfire rifles are suitable - just bring a few spare magazines, plenty of ammo, and a safe and positive attitude.

The match ammo count is expected to be around 150 rounds, but we suggest you bring at least double this amount. Please note that Rio Salado prohibits all steel-containing projectiles (such as military M855 "green tip", most Wolf ammo etc.), so please check your projectiles with a magnet before the match to avoid disappointment. Steel cartridge cases are OK.

The match will be run under a rifle-only version of IMA-SMM3G rules, with time-plus scoring. Download a copy of the match rules to learn more about the equipment divisions, scoring and safety protocols. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or contact me directly via IM or email.

As in previous years, the match is being run as a benefit for the Arizona Citizens Defense League; with the heightened threat to our 2nd Amendment rights, the work AZCDL does is more important than ever before. The match fee of $60 includes a donation to AzCDL, in return for which competitors will receive a free 1-year AZCDL membership (or renewal for existing members). Entries are being accepted through the AzCDL on-line store only. We are only take pre-entries, so don't bank on turning up and entering on the day. This match fills up quickly each year, and we are capping it at 90 shooters, so be sure to get your entries in early!

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All signed up, sounds like a fun match. How many shooters you have so far?

The match is about half full already. At this rate, the match will be full.

Where can a send a squad request? I have a friend that has never shot a rifel match and I wanted to shoot with him to answer questions. Thanks.....

All signed up, sounds like a fun match. How many shooters you have so far?

The match is about half full already. At this rate, the match will be full.

Where can a send a squad request? I have a friend that has never shot a rifel match and I wanted to shoot with him to answer questions. Thanks.....

We won't be pre-squadding. If you need to shoot with someone, make sure both of you turn up good and early and we will do the best we can to accommodate you. If its only one or two people, it won't be a problem.

Richard how many slots left?

There are only about 20 slots left. Anyone who wants to get into the match needs to do their on-line registration ASAP. Vacillate at your peril :devil:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The stages are designed. We will have some cool props - parachute harnesses, grenades, shoot-through windshields, wounded comrades and cute babies. I'll post the stage diagrams next week.

Mick and Russell have done an awesome job of pulling in some great prizes from our generous sponsors. Remember, these prizes will be distributed by random draw, so even if you suck at the match you still have a chance of walking away with something really nice. I am told there will be AR15 parts (including receivers), lots of shooting accessories, training certificates, and at least one EO Tech holographic sight. Oh, and AZCDL will be there to provide refreshments.

The match is nearly full !!! We have some slots left, but from past experience they will be snapped up quickly as the last few undecided shooters come aboard. Every year I get emails a few days before the match from folks who dragged their feet and hope to get in... they usually end up disappointed. If you are on the fence about this match, make your decision and get registered ASAP.

This match is gonna be a blast :D

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Richard,

What divisions will be recognized for the match?

Open

Tactical Scope

Tactical Limited

Heavy Metal Scope

Heavy Metal Limited

Trooper

The first 5 are our regular IMA-SMM3G divisions. Trooper is like Open but you have to carry all your gear/ammo etc. with you for the whole match, do extra challenges etc. For details, check out the Section 5 of the IDARM rules.

Are you going to give Trooper a shot? :devil:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good time even though I shot horrible. Next time I am bringing a cooler full of Ice and Water just too dunk my head in....man the heat really seemed to take its toll after 12 pm. Guys and Girls on squad 4 were great. Richard a very innovated match and to Ron, Richard, and everyone else who helped put on it on . Thanks

Thanks for the kind words Chris. The match went well and everyone seemed to have a great time despite the heat. Mick did an outstanding job on the prize table, and AZCDL came through as always with a hearty lunch. Now, if we could just persuade Congress to move the Independence Day holiday to October, it would be perfect.

Match results are on-line HERE.

The OFFICIAL match video is up on YouTube (sorry, we didn't get very good footage of Stage 5 - hopefully others will post theirs):

Glad to see you were as accurate with the grenade as we all were Richard! Clever move on stage 2 not to put the harness shoulder straps on. That saved a ton of time. Next time I will read the stage description more closely. Great match in spite of the monster heat, even for Phoenix.

Edited by Neomet