Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking the 180

Bentsight

**In no way trying to stir things up in any way** Just looking for an explanation

While researching a new holster I was looking through the rules linked from this site. I found it stated that it is not an infraction to break the 180 while drawing or re-holstering from a rearward canted holster.

If I'm completely missing something here please advise and excuse my ignorance...

Could you post the rule in question and if it is from the "new rules" or the old ones? The reason I am saying this is that in IDPA there is not a "180 rule" in the current rulebook.

That could make all the difference as well as the context of where you saw it in the "official rules" or if you saw that in the "new rules" that are currently under review and comment.

Went back to review and I was unable to cut/paste but I read it on the IDPA.com website rules section.

The heading did say Effective 10/13, apparently this is just a DRAFT. If so, sorry for the confusion I may have caused

# S8.3

Again, I was just looking for a new holster and came across this (PROPOSED) rule???

I understand that.

My question is why is it not considered breaking 180 when pointing the firearm in a rearward direction while drawing or re-holstering when many times waiting shooters&spectators can be "swept" during this process because of the rearward cant of many holsters?

I understand that.

My question is why is it not considered breaking 180 when pointing the firearm in a rearward direction while drawing or re-holstering when many times waiting shooters&spectators can be "swept" during this process because of the rearward cant of many holsters?

You would have to be lying down almost directly behind the shooter in order to be swept, at least with any rig I've seen.

This rule is to keep rule-nazi's from dq-ing people based on a technicality.