Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Emergency Firing Pin Stop Repair

bbbean

The firing pin stop on my backup gun (1911, of course) has worked loose, and occasionally slides down enough to trap the firing pin in the fire position, jamming the gun. The obvious repair is to simply buy and fit a new FPS, but I'm on the road for the next few days. If my primary gun fails me at the Single Stack Gnats, is there a Q&D way to get the FPS on my backup gun to stay put for, say, 255 rounds or so?

BB

Edited by bbbean

When was the last time you changed the firing pin spring ? My stop plate slides off quite easily when disassembling but it does not work loose.

If a new spring does not fix it then perhaps put a burr on the stop plate so that it is tight in the extractor groove?

You can use some acetone to clean it, then secure the pin in place with clear nail polish, then use acetone again to remove the nail polish. This should not damage the gun in anyway and should only be considered temporary.

The following is taken from another forum... "I have seen it happen several times. Production firing pin stops are a tad undersize for the channel that they sit it in being made this way for easy assembly/disassembly. 99 times out of 100 the force exerted by the extractor is enough to keep them in place. Sometimes however it isn't. Several competition shooter install a set screw in the stop and one of the more popular mods to the 1911 is to have an oversize stop fitted snugly to the pistol. Either way works."

Thanks for the suggestions and offers of help. A new FP spring, a thorough cleaning, and some nail polish should do the trick til I can fit a new FPS.

Think I probably need to retension my extractor, but I'm not doing that without a chance to put a few hundred rounds through it before the match. Besides, it's a backup gun for now.

BB