Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050, Powder measure not flaring the case enough.

I just bought a Dillon 1050 in 45 acp. Tonight I was trying to reload some lead bullets and I was having problems seating the bullets. I noticed there was not alot of bell on the cases so I tried to tighten down on the powder measure. I kept adjusting it further down untill I had it screwed all the way down and touching the shell plate. I still was not getting any bell on the cases. Am I don't something wrong?

Is it possible the powder funnel you have is the wrong one? According to Dillons website, the powder funnel for 45 caliber pistol rounds should be a "E"

On a 1050 the flairing is done by the swage backup rod not the powder measure. That is where you need to do the adjustments.

Brian

Not on my RL1050 in 9mm. The swage backup rod expands the case a little bit, but it doesn't put any belling on it. The pistol powder funnel (not caliber specific) does bell.

On a 1050 the flairing is done by the swage backup rod not the powder measure. That is where you need to do the adjustments.

Brian

Not on my RL1050 in 9mm. The swage backup rod expands the case a little bit, but it doesn't put any belling on it. The pistol powder funnel (not caliber specific) does bell.

Not on my S1050 either (38SC). The powder drop bells the case for me.

Try and check to make sure the powder measure is seated in the goove of the die.

As said, the swage backup rod expands the top of the case a little, however the pistol powder funnel puts the flair on the case mouth. I would make sure you have the correct funnel. Brian has some nice conversion charts that list the correct parts for a given caliber and press... if you don't have your press manual.

If you are unable to get a flair at the case mouth, no matter what adjustments you make, chances are you aren't cycling your powder measurer properly either. This means correct powder drops are probably not occurring.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Don't all 1050's (pistol caliber) come with the universal flaring funnel that's just a cone shape? With the swage backup rod doing the expanding and the cone doing the flare?

My 9mm funnels have a letter stamped on them in the groove around them.

Edited by SLM

I can't confirm now (on a business trip) if the 1050 came with a "one size fits all" powder funnel. Though I recall the two conversion kits I bought came with a powder funnel.

I was rereading the manual and it says the case is expanded in station 3, and belled with the powder measure. I am trying to load lead rounds in my 45 acp and I was trying to use the powder measure to expand the case more. When I should been using the die on station 3. Thanks for all the help, going to crank out some more ammo tonight and attach my bullet feeder. I love this thing.