Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cycling to stay fit

Eyefly

I am just curious if there are any fellow cyclists out there. I picked this up a few years ago and it has been one of the best things I have soon to stay fit. When I go out, I try to do 20 miles or so and I try to do this 5 times per week. Of course that is only if the weather cooperates. I lost about 44 pounds the first year even though I didn't think I had that much to lose. When i go shoot, i feel lighter on my feet and snappier when I move. Any body else cycle? What is your schedule.

I was big into biking in my teens and 20s, and just got back into it this past winter after a 20+ yr hiatus. I'm taking relatively short rides (5-10 miles) several times a week and longer rides on the weekend.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that bikes make guns look cheap. I've been lusting after a carbon fiber road bike, but think I'll be riding my 30 yr old mountain bike and new hybrid for a while. I made the mistake of taking my wife to the bike shop (she got the bug, too).

BB

The best feeling is that none of my pants fit. I am pretty close to my ideal weight, and my blood pressure/chemistry is good. Yep, cycling can make shooting lo0k inexpensive. I never looked at it this way. Lets get some pics going. Her is my Felt AR2...

post-31354-0-88073200-1368017591_thumb.j

I am 41, I thought about racing in my age group but I am terrified of crashing and busting up my body. I have two girls to care for and an business to run. My bike is still one of the best purchases I have made.

I used to ride quite a bit when I lived in Wisconsin and did some racing as well. I had to give it up when I moved to Springfield, Missouri. Roads are just too dangerous. I do miss it, but its not worth the risks involved. Its funny when I tell my friends that I switched to the shooting sports because its much much safer!

I joined up with a group for a ride on Wednesday. They are 15-20 years older than I am. I got my ass handed to me! It was a very humbling experience...

I will be riding with them every Wednesday from now on. :-)

I raced on the road in germany in the 80's, and off-road (and cyclocross) in the 90's. Now I just ride for fun and fitness and to exercise my pupper-dogs. Due to various compound fractures and ACL tears, running is very limited for me, but cycling helps keep my knees and back pain-free.

Edited by motosapiens

• 3 weeks later...

Spent most of the weekend on the bike getting comfortable with my new shoes and cleats. I love the connection to my bike, but my knees are starting to look like hamburger after falling 3 times in 2 days. Gotta learn how to get out of these things quicker!

FWIW, if anyone has an extra road bike they'd trade for my extra extra 1911, let me know!

BB

• 2 weeks later...

I just took up road* biking again to break out of the sedentary graduate student lifestyle. I've been riding 15 miles a few nights per week...I'm only a couple weeks in, but already feel a lot better. I was fortunate to scrounge a "spare" carbon trek pilot from a friend. *Sticking to paved trails for now, not brave enough to ride on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Been riding for a long time. Mostly mountain biking and trail riding w/cx bike. It's great exercise and (usually) low impact. But lately with the crappy weather and busy schedule, I'm lucky if I get out a couple of times a week.

I miss cycling alot. My minimum ride used to be 20 miles, 2-3 times a week. Dropped some weight at the time I was doing it. I absolutely loved it.

But with the way the maniacs drive on the island I live on, no way I'll cycle again on the highways. Not enough bike paths here to make riding even worthwhile. People here drive like shit. They'll hit you and keep on going because they dont have a drivers license and/or insurance, got weed or alcohol in the system, or plain old don't give a ****. its the "aloha spirit" haha

Edited by blaster113

Been riding for a long time. Mostly mountain biking and trail riding w/cx bike. It's great exercise and (usually) low impact. But lately with the crappy weather and busy schedule, I'm lucky if I get out a couple of times a week.

Weather here has also been crappy. Luckily I retired in mid March and therefore find it easier to squeeze in a ride or a run.

I miss cycling alot. My minimum ride used to be 20 miles, 2-3 times a week. Dropped some weight at the time I was doing it. I absolutely loved it.

But with the way the maniacs drive on the island I live on, no way I'll cycle again on the highways. Not enough bike paths here to make riding even worthwhile. People here drive like shit. They'll hit you and keep on going because they dont have a drivers license and/or insurance, got weed or alcohol in the system, or plain old don't give a shit. its the "aloha spirit" haha

Wow, Hawaii has changed. I was there in 1968 (R&R) and it was one of the most friendly places I have ever visited.

Which Island are you on?

I'm on Maui. This island in particular has experienced a sizeable population growth and the associated change in attitude that accompanies expansion and growth on an island. we have hit and run MVA's seems like on a daily basis.

Used to race road bikes back in Missouri. Loved it but got tired of hillbillies playing Mirror Tag with me and gave it up. The sound of off road tires coming up behind you can really pucker you up after a while.

+1, but it's all on the dirt-- I'll take crashing into a cactus vs. being crashed into by a car anyday! Started off on a hardtail, but after I had a back surgery I decided to pamper myself with a full suspension 29er. My avatar was actually shot on a day I was in the desert pedalling through the soft stuff while my buddies were zipping around on motorcycles.

Edited by jkrispies

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a semi-serious recreational ride for maybe 20 years and a runner forever. I like to tell people that biking will make you fit but running makes you tough. I used to ride everything on a nice cyclocross bike, but since I moved to Flagstaff I've been mostly mountain biking on dual-suspension bikes. Since I've developed arthritus in one foot and had to lay off running, I just bought a new Stumpy FSR Elite with is 1) an amazing ride and 2) amazingly expensive. :surprise: One thing I've noticed is that road riding is great for endurance training, mountain biking is more like continous interval training.

Edited by LordWhorfin