Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

eotech/magnifier & iron sights comb

DrLove

A multi-gun newbie here needs your help.

so I'll be shooting my first 3 gun match very soon. Now I'm using my AR15 with an eotech 512 (one dot), a 3x mag, and iron sights co-witnessed.

I've been hearing several methods of using those assets and I"m lost.

Should I zero the red dot to 100yards and the iron sights to a different distance? Or should I depend on the dot and the mag? Many possibilities and I"m lost. Your advice would be appreciated.

Zero distance is a choice you should make based on the expected target distances at the matches you shoot, your ammo, and your rifle. As a blanket red dot zero knowing nothing else about your plans I'd say 200 yds. I think understanding your zero and where you hit with that zero at any distance is far more important than the distance you pick.

As for the iron sights, I wouldn't use them. I would also recommend removing the magnifier and shooting limited.

Ditto on removing the magnifier, you have a non magnified optic so just run it in limited. 200 yd zero should work great, just know your holdover for close range targets. The dot will probably be faster for most people so I don't see the need for irons on that gun if you stick with the eotech.

If this gun will be primarily a match rifle, ditch the irons as they will just get in the way... if you have to go to irons, the wheels have REALLY fallen off. As for the magnifier, using it will put you in Tactical/Tactical Scope division, meaning you will be pitting yourself against folks running low-power zoom scopes. If the distance to targets and your visual acuity permit, try running the EOTech only in Limited/Tactical Limited division, in which you will likely be more competitive.

If this is a duty/self-defense gun, then run whatever setup you would run the "the real World".

+1. No one runs this set up any more because there are quite simply better options available. Using an eotech pretty much makes it a 300yd rifle. 400yd if you're experienced and can see well. The magnifier doesn't change that, and is ultimately problematic. They get in the way and the flip mounts aren't repeatable. I would either ditch the magnifier and run Limited division, or ditch the entire set up and get a variable power and good mount. You might even have money left over for some beer and a pizza. If you just can't bring yourself to make the switch... run a 200yd zero if you will never shoot further than 200. 250yd zero if your courses often go to 300 and rarely beyond. 300yd zero if you will be pushed beyond 300 on a regular basis.