Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ for AD during a reload with no finger on the trigger

spanky

This was the subject of a significant discussion at a recent match and I figured I'd pose the question as a squad mate and not a staff member.

The shooter is moving between two shooting positions. There are no targets that can be engaged between the two positions. He's completing the reload and, as he seats the mag, a shot goes off. Before the RO can get "STOP" out the shooter is into the next shooting position and the gun triples (or maybe doubles followed by what would have been a second but is a third intentional shot).

RO stop him, calls over the RM and the RM issues a DQ for AD.

The shooter was going to arbitrate based on the fact that his finger was not on the trigger and, as evidenced by the triple at the next shooting position, his gun is obviously broken.

Arguments made during the discussion between spectators, match staff, shooters, etc were that since he did not press the trigger then he did not AD and should be DQd.

Thoughts?

As a note, the DQ stood and the shooter chose not to arbitrate. I didn't speak to him as to what specifically swayed his decision but when I gave my input he seemed to still want to arb.

Edited by spanky

DQ under 10.4.3. The finger doesn't need to be in the trigger guard for a shot to occur.

10.4.3 A shot which occurs while loading, reloading or unloading a handgun. This includes any shot fired during the procedures outlined in Rule 8.3.1 and Rule 8.3.7

ETA: There is no broken gun alibi. If his broken gun caused the AD, it is still on him, and still a DQ.

can you say with certainty that the shooter did not press the trigger? the rules (10.4.3) clearly state if the guns fires a shot during a reload, its a DQ. the subsequent full auto-fire is another matter altogether. Both RO's on that stage as well as other competitors clearly said and heard Stop before the shooter went into the port.

can you say with certainty that the shooter did not press the trigger? the rules (10.4.3) clearly state if the guns fires a shot during a reload, its a DQ. the subsequent full auto-fire is another matter altogether. Both RO's on that stage as well as other competitors clearly said and heard Stop before the shooter went into the port.

No one can say for sure but the shooter and the RO but I don't think that's even relevant (which is part of my argument).

I think you're right on the "stop" call. It was just that the shooter didn't react to it until that point.

i would call it a DQ it doesnt matter if the gun malfunctions or not an AD is an AD. If i had been the RO i would have called the same. the gun being broken isnt the issue other than the fact that the gun has become unsafe period. the triple or double would not be a DQ but the AD yes that is.

I'm surprised it went to discussion at all. AD=DQ, gun failures don't make you any less responsible.

+1 ^

+2.

I would think that if that gun is firing without pressing the trigger, I would want that shooter and that firearm off the course at that time!

I have personally been involved in this exact thing happening twice.

I was ROing a shooter who inserted a mag on a reload and the gun went off. The trigger bow was new and had not been properly fitted. AD= DQ.

I was ROing a shooter who was having major gun problems his hammer was following and he could not fire. He kept racking until finally it followed hard enough to fire. Should have been a DQ but he was mistakenly allowed to continue.

The example posed by Spanky is pretty cut and dried.

Had a buddy do the same thing,new trigger in 2011 gun reload bang,,,DQ--

He says he knew his finger was not on the trigger.we never got the gun to do it again

Had a shooter with a slide that failed to go fully into battery. Smacked the back of the slide and the extended pin which had broken got stuck in the channel so it hit the primer hard enough to make the gun go bang. First shooter on the first stage.

Had a shooter with a slide that failed to go fully into battery. Smacked the back of the slide and the extended pin which had broken got stuck in the channel so it hit the primer hard enough to make the gun go bang. First shooter on the first stage.

Did the slide come back and hit his hand after it fired?

Did the slide come back and hit his hand after it fired?

No, it tried but the slide was still being held forward by the hand slapping the back. Slides do not have a lot of power behind them until they start to build momentum after unlocking.

DQ under 10.4.3. The finger doesn't need to be in the trigger guard for a shot to occur.

10.4.3 A shot which occurs while loading, reloading or unloading a handgun. This includes any shot fired during the procedures outlined in Rule 8.3.1 and Rule 8.3.7

ETA: There is no broken gun alibi. If his broken gun caused the AD, it is still on him, and still a DQ.

All of this plus

Iron clad DQ any way you look at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes there is. One is designed to do so (G18 ) and one does it due to mechanical failure. End result still the same. I agree to " the letter " of the rule, but in this case splitting hairs is hyperbole.

Per the ruling, it is considered an unsafe firearm and should be removed from the competition until fixed, but it doesn't fall under 5.1.1, which is what sperman was saying.

But, regardless, this is a DQ. so, removal of the firearm wouldn't be a primary concern. If this got arbitrated, I would hope it would lose.