Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG 124 JHP in an XD(M) 5.25

Bike Effects

I have found that my max OAL of this bullet in my 5.25 is 1.09". On this board I see people who use much longer lengths than this. I am wondering what others who use this combination have found to be their max OAL.

With the Montana Gold 124gr FMJ I have an OAL between 1.145-1.50. However when I use the MG 124gr JHP I can only use a OAL of between 1.09-1.10 or they stick in the chamber and make it very difficult to extract them. (This is also in the 5.25).

I can go to 1.145 on my old 525, but my new one, I can only go to 1.125 with the MG 124JHPs. Either way, much longer than 1.090. If it means anything, I set crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. That doesn't do anything to the bullet diameter, though.

With the Montana Gold 124gr FMJ I have an OAL between 1.145-1.50. However when I use the MG 124gr JHP I can only use a OAL of between 1.09-1.10 or they stick in the chamber and make it very difficult to extract them. (This is also in the 5.25).

At least I'm not the only one!

I can go to 1.145 on my old 525, but my new one, I can only go to 1.125 with the MG 124JHPs. Either way, much longer than 1.090. If it means anything, I set crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. That doesn't do anything to the bullet diameter, though.

Have you dropped a loaded round with the 1.125 OAL in the barrel and then let it fall out?