Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 TACT

DrLove

They're not the easiest things to load as they come, nor are they very popular nowadays, but I know a few people who run them quite well.

so why aren't they the easiest to load? I mean what's the main issue with loading those? Did Remington improve over those in the Versamax?

I used to own one before I sold it to get my Versa Max. I really enjoyed it. Very simple design, only thing you need to worry is the o-ring. Make sure to check on the o-ring and clean it often. My Tac 4 only liked shells over 3 dram when it came to bird shot and anything else over 1200 fps. The loading port is small since it is designed only for 2 3/4 shells. It is a pain to load till you get the Daves EZ Loader. I ran mine for a year without a mishap. Over half the fellow 3 gun shooters at my range use them. But I suggest that you dont buy new. I truly suggest to buy an used 1100 then add a Nordic magtube and a Daves Easy Loader then you will be in business. The Tac 4 is not worth the price tag. Keep that money and buy a M2 or a Versa Max. If you are on a budget then get used 1100 you should fine one no problem under $400

They're not the easiest things to load as they come, nor are they very popular nowadays, but I know a few people who run them quite well.

so why aren't they the easiest to load? I mean what's the main issue with loading those? Did Remington improve over those in the Versamax?

If you look at a 1100 in person the bolt release is a small button on the lifter where you insert your shells. You have to depress this small button to insert a shell at any time. Thats why the make the Daves EZ Loader which acts like an over sized button in a shape of a lifter. Makes loading much easier. Go to your nearest gun store and look at one in person. Then look at the Versa Max and you can tell a huge difference in the lifters and loading ports.

The bolt on the 1100 locks back after every round. The next round out of the magazine "crashes" into the lifter and unlocks the bolt to be loaded into the chamber. There is more resistance on the loading gate of the 1100 even with the bigger button that comes with the tac 4. The DMW easy loader is helpful in reducing the force but it has other issues associated with it. I love my 1100 for trap but my tac 4 did not work well for me for shotgun comp. Sold it and bought a versamax. Much better investment.

The tactical will be hard to find plus if you do find one it will be little over priced. I just picked up a 26" synthetic model. Right now remington has a rebate of a $100 for that model only. Then buy you a extension tube from carbon arms like I did. Which apparently they are on back order I guess....... I ordered one from them and they have not shipped it. The issue with the Nordic mag tube extension is the clamp to the extension and the barrel causing the barrel to cant and losing slug accuracy. The Carbon Arms kit makes the barrel completely free float for better accuracy. The kit is $250, add a nordic button release and a charging handle you you got a Versa Max much better than the Tactical version. Here is a list of what I paid.

Versa Max 26" Synthetic $1000 out the door

Carbon Arms 10+1 Tube $250

Nordic button release $15

Nordic Charging Handle $30

Total $1295

Rebate -$100

New Total $1195

You can spend more money if you like to perfect it, as in welded carrier from C-Rums. Also polishing shell catch and loading port you can do yourself if you have some handy skills if you rather pay a professional C-Rums can do that too.

Yeah, the 26" is dynamite. If you are competing on the upper tier and need the lighter swing weight to shave an additional half second off your stage times, then get the tactical for the shorter barrer. I run the 26" and it swings extremely nice on thrown birds. I struggle with slug hits past 50rds and the added sight radius really helps a lot. In addition, most people are running 9, 10 or 11 shot magazines. A 10rd magazine is flush with a 26" barrel. I really like the Versa and a 10rd magazine. I run the load 2 method and it is really nice to come off the line and slam two more into the magazine, while moving to the first shooting location (when applicable of course). The Versamax is one of the easiest and fastest loading shotguns on the market and the 1100 is probably the slowest and most difficult. That Easy Loader isn't a drop in part either. I've installed 2 and it took me several hours with a hand file, only to have a big spoon hanging out the bottom of the shotgun, just begging to get snagged and damaged.

I ran an 1100 for several years and wile it functioned well you will see many 1100s having issues. There are just so many better choices right now for a 3 gun shotgun. M2, Versamax, SLP, Vinci and Mossberg 930JM are all better choices than the 1100. At this time the Versamax Sportsman models are pretty easy to get and require a minimal amount of work to make competitive. The one piece tube from Carbon Arms is excellent and it's what I have on my gun but if your on a budget you can get a Nordic tube for around $80. Open the load port, weld the lifter, trim the magazine tube spring and it's ready to go.

I ran an 1100 for several years and wile it functioned well you will see many 1100s having issues. There are just so many better choices right now for a 3 gun shotgun. M2, Versamax, SLP, Vinci and Mossberg 930JM are all better choices than the 1100. At this time the Versamax Sportsman models are pretty easy to get and require a minimal amount of work to make competitive. The one piece tube from Carbon Arms is excellent and it's what I have on my gun but if your on a budget you can get a Nordic tube for around $80. Open the load port, weld the lifter, trim the magazine tube spring and it's ready to go.

Ditto...or wait 3 months and go for a VersaMax 3Gun Edition.

The first 3 guns I owned as a kid were Remingtons, so they had been my default go to out of purely sentimental reasons. I went through 1100s, 11-87s, an 11-87P, an 1100 Competition, and last an 1100 Tac4 constantly trying to make them close to an M2. I only had 2 major melt-downs at matches, but I "liked them." When a friend switched from the M2 to an SLP, I tried to not like it, but eventually, I had to switch and it was US made. Put some time and effort into the SLPs, getting them fit for me, making them run, figuring out their little intricacies, learning from others who were running them, etc and ran them for 2 years. When the VMs came out, I was intrigued, but my logical side won out saying..."Why go back to more work and less fun?" I shot one, tore it apart, saw there were a few issues and went about fixing them. I have only shot the VM in 2 major matches so far, but oh what a joy to shoot and load and not worry about!

Ditto...or wait 3 months and go for a VersaMax 3Gun Edition.

The first 3 guns I owned as a kid were Remingtons, so they had been my default go to out of purely sentimental reasons. I went through 1100s, 11-87s, an 11-87P, an 1100 Competition, and last an 1100 Tac4 constantly trying to make them close to an M2. I only had 2 major melt-downs at matches, but I "liked them." When a friend switched from the M2 to an SLP, I tried to not like it, but eventually, I had to switch and it was US made. Put some time and effort into the SLPs, getting them fit for me, making them run, figuring out their little intricacies, learning from others who were running them, etc and ran them for 2 years. When the VMs came out, I was intrigued, but my logical side won out saying..."Why go back to more work and less fun?" I shot one, tore it apart, saw there were a few issues and went about fixing them. I have only shot the VM in 2 major matches so far, but oh what a joy to shoot and load and not worry about!

Ditto, I started with an 1100 competition master. It shot alright, but I was always nervous about the Easy loader getting damaged and it would just hiccup and die for no reason from time to time. Like Mark, I switched to the SLP and was very happy with it for a few years. Mine shot really well and once I learned it's little quirks it was a very reliable and highly functional shotgun. I could easily justify running one again without much complaint, but I would shoot my pump before going back to an 1100. I got my Versa off a prize table, figured "what the hay, I'll work it up and give it a try". Then it was "baby where have you been!" It swings well, shoots well, loads well, is simple and easy to work on and the Carbon Arms tube clears up the only gripe with the platform and it only takes 10min to install. It may seem like splitting hairs to you now, but I promise you... once you've seen guys loading 8 shells and burning down 8 targets in less than 8 seconds, you'll understand why the 1100 is no longer a good choice for our sport.