Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grams followers problem

lazyeiger

Just got 3 new STI 140mm 45 ACP mags. The 2 mags I already have are the same with Grams followers and springs and Dawson + 1 base. The new grams follower and spring that I just recieved from Shooter Connection keeps popping out of the top of the tube? I have tried all 5 tubes I have and it does it with all of them. The other 2 followers are fine, All the followers look identical. Any ideas??

Thanks

Jon

Since it is popping out on all 5 tubes and the other Grams are not I think I would measure the width with a caliper and compare the dimension with the 2 grams that work. Maybe they sent a follower for a smaller caliber?

Since it is popping out on all 5 tubes and the other Grams are not I think I would measure the width with a caliper and compare the dimension with the 2 grams that work. Maybe they sent a follower for a smaller caliber?

As far as I can tell the dimensions of all 3 are the same ( kind of difficult to measure due to no 2 surfaces being parallel!) They all have Grams-S2 molded into the bottom. I am completely stumped. is it possible it is something to do with the spring? It looks a bit funky on that one.

As far as I can tell the dimensions of all 3 are the same ( kind of difficult to measure due to no 2 surfaces being parallel!) They all have Grams-S2 molded into the bottom. I am completely stumped. is it possible it is something to do with the spring? It looks a bit funky on that one.

Could be the new spring. Try loading the magazine to compress the spring and leave it for a couple of hours. Then unload it and see if it solves the problem. When I purchased and assembled my magazines the Grams springs where so tight that they jammed the follower into the feed lips and they needed a lot of pressure to free them. After a couple of compression cycles the springs are a little shorter and work fine.

The one on the left is the problematic one. It looks like the good one is at a different angle. Should I just bend it to match??

Try swapping the springs between the offending follower and a good one, and if the offending follower starts working then try to tweak the spring.

Might be the angle of the picture, but the followers do not look the same. I can't see springs causing the followers to pop out the top of the mags.

Looks like different followers to me, Bven has changed them from time to time I've got some old 40 cal that are different than what's shipping today. Call him he will help you fix it.

I concur Beven has made different followers over the years.

They were labelled STI, STI_SVI, S_I.

And now S2 (I probably missed a few in between).

As others have posted, it might be best to call him and see what he says.