Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starter 3-Gun Gear

I've been shooting a little informal 3-gun for the past 2 years or so and my gear has been OK. Well, I shot in a 2-gun match (rifle and handgun) yesterday and realized that I need to upgrade in a very bad way. I've been using a fobus paddle holster and a paddle mag holster. Obviously, these need to go.

With 3 kids and a wife, my budget isn't much. I don't plan on shooting many multi-gun matches, but when I do, I want to be well equipped.

Basically, what I want is a belt, holster and mag holster as well as a shotgun shell caddy. I already have 2 AR mag holsters from blade tech.

Here's what I'm looking at. I based everything on price for the most part and all the reviews seem positive on everything:

California Comp Works She'll Caddy

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/shotgun-shell-holders/12-gauge-speed-stripper-prod4148.aspx

BladeTech 1911 Pak

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/holsters-belt-gear/holsters/govt-model-competition-pak-sku098000058-26674-51909.aspx

Gilmore Sports Competition Belt

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/holsters-belt-gear/holster-belts/large-belt-liner-sku380000003-6828-16882.aspx

So, is this a good start?

Thanks!

Edited by Adamski

As I understand it, anything that will get you out and started is good to go!

I don't know anything about those items other than the Comp Works Caddy - but you can always upgrade as you get going.

Safari land is the only way to go for 3 gun. You can buy I now or later on but eventually you will get it. Look for one of their 50% off cards and it will be cheaper than buying the options above.

CR speeds are nice but they don't lock. Many have seen shooters loose their entire belt as the exta weight of equip pulls it off the shooter. The belt will work. Get some belt keepers and run 3 of them along with the Velcro loop that came with your belt.

Jay

Safari land is the only way to go for 3 gun. You can buy I now or later on but eventually you will get it. Look for one of their 50% off cards and it will be cheaper than buying the options above.

What is the 50% off card and where do you find them? I'm looking for a 3 gun rig and theirs looks impressive.

Thanks,

Jim

What is the 50% off card and where do you find them? I'm looking for a 3 gun rig and theirs looks impressive.

Thanks,

Jim

I got one with my recent USPSA membership.

Thanks,

Jim

I got one with my recent USPSA membership.

Really? I guess I'd better check my membership packet again lol.

I think you will be happy with your choices. I Also run a cr speed and blade tech holster. The California comp works she'll caddies are a nice start, though I think their are better options out there. I have ccw caddies, they work well, but my complaint would be, if you don't grab all 4 shells the rest will fall out while running.

Mag pouches, I recommend blade tech or comp tac that cant. These are reasonably priced and can be rotated for ergonomics of your draw.

Good luck,

George

• 2 weeks later...

I like the standard Uncle Mike's holster for 3 gun. Also, I would recommend the Choate shell caddies over the CCW caddies. They hold 6 shells and are about $5 apiece cheaper. I found all of mine at Midway.