Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Open Nationals on OLN - Tonight !! 14th Oct

BritinUSA

Tonight is the first airing of the newest show in our Championship Series--the USPSA Open Nationals.  The Open Division is the fastest competition described as the extreme sport of handgun shooting.

I've listed the times for this week--on OLN.   

Note there is a slight change in the schedule that may benefit  West Coast viewers: 

Thursday 10/14  9:00 PM Eastern - 6:00 PM Pacific

Thursday 10/14 9:00 PM Pacific  (Friday 12:00 AM Eastern)

Sunday 10/17  9:30 AM Eastern - 6:30 AM Pacific

Monday 10/18  7:00 PM Eastern - 4:00 PM Pacific

Monday 10/18  11:30 PM Pacific - (Tuesday 2:30 AM Eastern)

Nik ... I have no idea why you would think of li'l ol' me. :rolleyes:

I want to know who the guy was in the red, white, and blue "uniform" with the Lt. Dangle short-shorts. Man, I'd rather see ten guys like me in spandex unitards than any guy in shorts like that. They're just wrong! puke.gif

I want to know who the guy was in the red, white, and blue "uniform" with the Lt. Dangle short-shorts. Man, I'd rather see ten guys like me in spandex unitards than any guy in shorts like that. They're just wrong! puke.gif

That would be Paul Hyland. He is a transplanted Brit, that has been living and working in CO for the last 7 years. He shoots with all the time here in Colorado. Paul is a really good guy, but that doesn't stop us from teasing him about his shorts. :D

Shoot -- I also only saw the second half -- I missed coverage of Paul?

BTW: Paul (BritInUSA) is also about to become one of the most passionate new citizens of this great country. There is nothing more heartening than to talk to someone going through the process of citizenship. Paul wears the colors as he is a true believer.

And, he can get away with the shorts because his body fat % must be about 5%!

Doesn't the 1st amendment guarantee the right to free speech and wardrobe? :D

Just wondering, but, why did Michael Voight shoot an STI in the Open Nationals - I expect to an SVI in his hand?  or am I wrong?

Way wrong. He hasn't been associated with SV for years.

And it's Voigt. ;) Actually, I have a hate rant coming....

Pro's:

- The ladies were given top billing, as it should be.

- The show finally focused on scoring. The men got one stage result actually tabulated on screen.

- The show was far and away the best match coverage Shooting USSR has ever done. As long as the match coverage is in a 30 minute slot (i.e. 20 minutes of coverage), there's not much more to fix.

Con's:

-One of the teasers referred to the match/show as "gun sport" coverage. Wrong! USPSA is a shooting sport, not a "gun" sport. There are no prizes for the best gun. And no, I do not think I'm splitting hairs here. I'm so sick of hearing the backhanded "gamer gun" accusation launched at IPSC from Scoutten and his crew, I just can't tell ya.... USPSA has the right to demand that the sport be presented accurately if someone plans to broadcast the event on television. A "gun sport" it ain't.

- The ladies got "shafted" in the sense that their scores were only reported verbally, never tablulated like the mens' scores. This is obviously due to tight air time constraints. However the ladies got equal time otherwise.

- 30 minutes of airtime (i.e. 20 minutes of show) is not enough time to cover a match. 90 minutes is really what's necessary. And yes, I do think that 90 minutes of match coverage would be interesting if competently presented. There is just no way a USPSA match is less dramatic than 2 hours of dipsh*t punks on skateboards or the litany of hyped-up "extreme" crap that OLN feels is gripping entertainment.

- Juli Goloski's seemingly gigantic eyewear. ;) (Yeah, I look like a fat, clueless retard at the range so I should't really criticize, but pretty shooters shouldn't hide behind welding goggles either.)

Overall: About as good a show as is possible in 20 minutes.

yeah eric i caught the little digs also.

i watched the idpa show the other night on my cable on-demand channel.

he takes the open gun out of the safe says the gun is only good for the range and sticks it in a drawer.in a real life situation i wouldn't mind having one of our top shooters with a open gun on my side.

yeah eric i caught the little digs also.

What's amazing is how totally pointless and childish the digs are. It's akin to a sports announcer bagging on Formula 1 by constantly pointing out that race cars aren't practical family automobiles.

Time for Scoutten to give it a rest.

Wow, after all these comments about my shorts I'm glad I didn't wear the short ones that day... :D

Having been taped at Nationals I am in awe of the top shooters who are able to blank out the cameraman.

I found it an incredible distraction while shooting. I was aware of the cameraman the whole time, they also taped me on the stage with all the foot-pad activators and I could see him out of the corner of my eye.

I was on the same squad as a bunch of Air-Force guys and I assumed that they would use some footage of them on the show, but as someone else mentioned 30 minutes is not enough to do the match justice.

They shot a ton of footage, they must have several hours worth at least. Perhaps we should be pushing for a match DVD to be produced by any company that gets the rights to tape Nationals, it could be part of the deal, tape the match but you must produce a DVD for xx amount of dollars within 3 months or something like that.

Wow, after all these comments about my shorts I'm glad I didn't wear the short ones that day... :D

Dude!

First of all, I'm tempted to give you a pass on the shorts (this time) since you're becoming a citizen of patriot.gifthe greatest country in the history of the worldpatriot.gif and you proudly displayed our colors. patriot.gif

Given that, I am unable to allow such transgressions in the future. If you must wear those shorts, please wear another less "Lt. Dangle"-esque garment over them.

Failure to comply shall result in me taking the field wearing nothing but a pair of Speedos® to complement my shooting gear (hearing/eye protection, belt, shoes). There shall be photographic documentation posted on this forum and you shall be held accountable for the aftermath up to and including all committals to mental institutions and/or suicides.

I know this horse has been beaten to death but...

Paul's idea of getting someone to work with Jim S. to produce a complete DVD of Natls would be a great thing. Saul's video last year was great but I will admit that I think there is a market beyond just watching the super squad. I would like to see the ladies shoot, I'd like to see some of the "core of our sport" shoot, i.e., the vast majority of folks that foot the bill for the sport. I want to see some of the human interest, e.g., the folks that are successful in other careers, raising a family, going to college, etc. that still find a way to come out and compete (and compete well).

I guess I am pining for the type of video coverage that Lenny Mc. used to produce. When I started in the sport, these videos were very influential and just fun to watch as well -- a good mix of what makes our sport great.

As always, IMHO.

Just watched it yesterday and tonight. I thought the coverage was great. It's come a long way from just a few years ago when we had nothing.

I talked to Jim at the match and asked him if he was going to film any real shooters this year, and he kinda just laughed. It IS the championship series after all.

As for the shorts, if I had an ass like that I'd wear those shorts also. Aw CRAP, did I just type that out loud?

Hey Paul, were you there this year wearing equal length jean shorts? I think we talked at stage 20 & 21 while watching Jerry and the Ladies. Congratulations on your citzenship, that's awesome! You've probably already learned, but if you're gonna hang out with this crowd, you gotta have thick skin........And longer shorts wouldn't hurt! :D