Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What else do I need for open?

DrLove

folks, preparing to start shooting open this month.

Just bought my first open gun (Trubor 38 super). Got myself a Race Master holster and 3 RM pouches. Have all the needed mags (with one big stick). What else do I need, my brain is dead:)?

folks, preparing to start shooting open this month.

Just bought my first open gun (Trubor 38 super). Got myself a Race Master holster and 3 RM pouches. Have all the needed mags (with one big stick). What else do I need, my brain is dead:)?

Ammo?

AMMO, bag, batteries, extra springs for everything, rainx, plugs and muffs, on range parts and tool kit, backup mags, loctite,... other than that, get it to run.

First thing I would do is see if you gun runs reliably with all your mags. Should go bang all the time, no hicups unless shooter induced. +1 with everything metioned above. Best thing to do is get your mags tuned to your gun.

Glucosamine sulfate, sunblock, cleats.

Seriously,buoy need to work up a load for THAT gun. I did lots for research, but came back to an old friend, AA7. I use 9.2 gr under a 125 gr LEAD Georgia Arms bullet and a small rifle primer to make 1400 fps. A little fast, but works the comp.

Lead bullets don't work in open. Will load up comp with lead.

I like blanket statements, it takes all the variables out of the equation.

He's spot on though. FMJ's don't work too well either. .. the exposed lead base and all....But, don't take our word for it...shoot those lead bullets and have fun cleaning the lead outta the comp.

Money. :)

In Open, the guns are like Formula 1 race cars. Sometimes changing one part will affect how it shoots. If you plan on traveling to matches, it's a good idea to have a duplicate gun as a backup. The further you are away from home, the more likely something is going to break.

As others have mentioned, master the art of reloading your own ammunition. You will be able to tune your load to your gun, specifically your barrel and comp. What you want is a load that keeps the dot in the A zone during recoil for faster follow up shots. This process requires a good chronograph to verify you are making major while not overpressuring the load.

BC

• 3 weeks later...

a good gunsmith

keep it clean and lots of lube

extra c-more batteries

red locktite

spare guiderod springs, magazine springs, extra spare mags

chrono to make major and check loads

tools for everything on the gun and your rig

money

patience

time