Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please help a moron working on Benelli M2 Shims

Zeke013

Goodness gracious.

I went and shot my new Salient Arms M2 today and it's throwing slugs 8"-12" high at 50 yards.

So I decided to adjust the shims to add a little more drop to the stock which will bring the barrel down a hair when I point it naturally.

I pulled the stock off and found the cast shim DX (right hand) between the stock and receiver.

I installed the drop shim, C, against the receiver.

The manual pictures putting the cast shim (DX) back in place, but the two shims don't go together as they both have pins on each side of them.

So I can place either one but not both.

Is that correct? Or should I be able to have both cast and drop shims in place?

The manual, as usual, is no help.

Thanks in advance.

The one to lower the stock should be wider - deeper fore and aft - at the top.

It is - that's the C shim. The problem is that both the C shim and the DX shim have "male" points so they can't be used together - despite Page 84 and 86 of the M2 manual showing that they can be.

http://www.benelliusa.com/assets/manuals/Benelli_M2_manual.pdf

I am trying to C, CDX, DX - the exact combination they show as suggested on Page 84. Except I can't place the DX shim with the C shim.

Interesting - this photo shows the DX shim as having female holes rather than male posts as my DX shim has.

dsc03712.jpg

My DX shim has male posts like A, B, D and Z above have. . .

How exactly will this bring your slug impact down?

I don't know that it will - except that it will lower the POA for the barrel at my natural mount. I have no doubt I'll still be high when I actually aim.

I have an email in to Salient to ask about POI adjustment.

Depending on what kind of slugs your using, your sight picture and cheek weld are crucial. Once you get them in an accurate group at 50 yds, remember it and adjust accordingly.It should be with the rib flat and the sight sitting on the rib like a sun on the rise. Slugs can be hard to learn and can vary. Need to shoot a lot of them to have complete confidence.

That is the sight picture I *thought* had - but I will admit that I am new to slugs.

I'll try it again next weekend.

As an aside, there are a plethora of reports of Benellis shooting high. And of course I'd rather blame the tool than the carpenter . . . :roflol:

For whatever reason I had assumed raising the front sight would resolve the problem. Which should mean adding a rear sight would have the opposite impact.

Then again, there's a reason I don't do math . . .

Get a triangle Hi-Viz front sight and install it. Use the tip of the triangle as the aiming point.

With the tip of the triangle at the top of the rear of my vent rib, POA = POI at 50 yds and I can consistently shoot 4" wide x 8" tall steel targets from 30-70 yards with Winchester Ranger 1oz low recoil slugs.