Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popped primer on my 1050

Well I finally joined the "popped primer club".

I was priming a few hundred rounds of .223 LC brass. I was only doing priming. I knew that about 1% of them were crimped. I didn't set up my swaging station because I felt I could feel which ones were hard to seat and stop it before forcing the primer too much.

I was successful for six of them but the seventh blew on me.

I don't want to experience that again.

No damage done but my ears are still ringing. It scared the crap out of me. My wife chewed my butt for being an idiot.

I will use the swager from now on.

Lesson learned

I don't get it. You were priming brass that you knew had crimps, on a machine with a built-in swager, but chose not to use it?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I don't get it. You were priming brass that you knew had crimps, on a machine with a built-in swager, but chose not to use it?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Lesson learned: Use the machine for it was designed for.

I could feel when the primer was hard to go in. Six out of seven ain't bad, is it?

I have crushed primers. I have seated sideways primers. I have seated two primers and "mated" them together in the primer pocket, but I have NEVER had a primer go off. I also have never "felt" a primer on any of my 1050s--even JUST seating a primer.

How fast were you processing? It takes an IMPACT, or it is supposed to, to set off a primer.

I have crushed primers. I have seated sideways primers. I have seated two primers and "mated" them together in the primer pocket, but I have NEVER had a primer go off. I also have never "felt" a primer on any of my 1050s--even JUST seating a primer.

How fast were you processing? It takes an IMPACT, or it is supposed to, to set off a primer.

You can feel them if the only thing you are doing on the machine is priming. At least I thought I could. I was 6/7 right.

I could feel the resistance as the primer was being forced into the unswaged pocket. Since I knew there might be a few and I could feel them I did the dumb thing and didn't swage them.

I had a bunch of brass that I had prepped long ago before I got the 1050. I wanted to prime the brass and store it away for some future loading.

I only posted my mistake so as to give other people the benefit of my lesson learned. Maybe I am the only person in the entire US to be stupid enough to do it.

No damage was done to the machine but it was not a good thing.

Maybe I am the only person in the entire US to be stupid enough to do it.

Don't be so hard on yourself, people light off primers and even blow up guns all the time. With the influx of new reloaders recently there is going to be a rise in this sort of thread.

I am like noylj, never lit one off and didn't see how you could with some of the mashed ones I have seen. Even crushed one in a bench vice one day and it didn't go off.

Hey, 6 out of 7 is 85 almost 86%. That is a strong B. Rock on.

I crushed one yesterday that was half in the pocket and half out. Almost cut it in half.

Edited by jlamphere

You're not alone, had just the same thing happen to me. (Although I was using the swager)

Loud for sure, and a flame thrower too.

Using Tula primers.

Just a reminder to wear your eye and ear protection. (Always)